This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

The leaves are colorful and the air is chilly. You know what that means: time to carve pumpkins! All you need is a pumpkin and a carving kit (aka a sharp knife and a large spoon). Just follow these six simple steps to become a pumpkin carving pro!

Step 1: Pick your pumpkin.

Visit a pumpkin patch or your local supermarket and pick out your perfect pumpkin.

Step 2: Cut off the top.

Cut a circle with a radius of a few inches to create a lid. Make sure you cut at an angle toward the center of your pumpkin so that your lid doesn’t fall in after it is cut.

Step 3: Scoop out the filling.

Grab a large spoon (or use your hands) and begin to scoop out the inside of the pumpkin, getting the sides as clean as possible.

Surprise DIY! Save the seeds, spread them out on a cookie sheet, cover them in melted butter and salt, and bake for about 30 minutes at 300°F or until golden brown! Ta-da: roasted pumpkin seeds!

Step 4: Choose your design.

Be simple and carve a traditional jack-o-lantern or create something a bit more complex. Find an image online or create your own and draw it onto your pumpkin to create an outline that will help you when you’re carving.

Step 5: Start carving.

The time has come to begin carving! Use whatever size knife you need and get creative. Remember: it doesn’t have to be perfect.

Step 6: Display your pumpkin.

Place a tea light in your pumpkin, replace the lid, and show your beautiful design to the world!

Gather your friends, make some fun fall treats, and have a pumpkin carving party! Not only will you have super fun pumpkins to put on display, you can also take some cute pictures to step up your Insta game. Happy carving, collegiette!

DIY and John Mayer enthusiast. I watch Elf year-round, eat bdubs way too often, and sing way too loudly. I'm a psychology major at West Virginia Wesleyan College, my home among the hills.