5 Ways to Rock Your First Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Wanting to land that dream internship? Summer may be over, but it’s never too early to start preparing! There are so many things to think about; if this is your first professional job experience, the whole process (including the first day) can be a little nerve-racking. That’s why I’m here to give you a couple of tips on how to rock your first internship! 

1. Make a good first impression.

Making a good first impression with the supervisor is extremely important. Whether you’re interviewing for the position or meeting your supervisor for the first time in person, be sure to dress professionally, be confident and trust your instincts. This is your chance to prove to them that you’re qualified for the position, so show them what  you’ve got!  

2. Be open and respectful.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions if you don’t know how something works. Be open with the other employees. Spark up conversation with them, and try to schedule coffee dates if you’re interested in a particular department or position. It’s important to build relationships with the employees for networking purposes, letters of recommendation, etc. 

3. Be ambitious and creative.

Try to jump right into tasks without fear. Employers love when you take initiative! Be creative when problem solving, and don’t second guess yourself. Most of the time, your instincts are right. 

4. Take your work seriously. 

Take notes, stay organized and take pride in your work. Someone is depending on you to complete your tasks, no matter how minor they may seem. Do as well as you can because you might just get asked to come back and work for the company! 

5. Be observant and reflect on the experience.

Completing an internship is a wonderful learning experience. Be observant and curious about the work environment. Use this as an opportunity to figure out if you’re in the right field. Internships are usually the first glance we have into “the real world,” so your experience wil most likely have an impact on where you end up in the future. 

Let your internship be a learning experience for you. You will learn a lot about your strengths and weaknesses as well as gain new skills. In return, you will inevitably grow along the way. Remember to have faith in yourself, take a deep breath and be brave, collegiette! 

I enjoy writing for Her Campus, studying Sociology, cooking, and listening to music. I have an appreciation for learning about the world we live in and how to make it a better place for everyone.  I hope you enjoy my articles!