freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Tips for Meeting Your SO’s Parents Over the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

If you’ve ever dated, you can probably relate to the anxiety that comes with meeting a new partner’s family for the first time. With Christmas break right around the corner, lots of new couples will be leaving their carefree lives at school to head home for the holidays. If the possiblity of meeting your SO’s parents and family has you a little overwhelmed, here are some tips that can help. 

1. Don’t sweat it. This piece of advice comes first because if you stop reading here, you’ll still be fine. Meeting a new boyfriend or girlfriend’s parents for the first time can seem daunting but it very rarely poses a real threat. If you and your SO are truly happy together and flourishing as a couple, their parents’ opinions of you should have little impact on their own. So if you’re really worried, just talk with your SO for some reassurance that all will be well in the end. 

2. If you can, have your first meeting on mutual territory, like in a restaurant or a public location on campus if your SO’s parents come to pick them up from school. This way, you won’t have the added discomfort of being in someone else’s home for the first time. This also allows your SO’s parents to see you a little more as another adult rather than someone their kid is having over for a playdate. 

3. Put thought into your outfit. Now, I’m not saying you need to dress modestly or in a way that would impress your partner’s parents, but if you’re nervous to meet them, chances are you do care what they’ll think of you. Sadly, appearances are a big part of first impressions and you’ll want to make a good one! Wear something that makes you feel comfortable and makes you feel like you. Your clothes can give you the extra confidence boost you need. 

4. Be yourself. This one seems like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many of us forget this in the moment. Remember that your SO fell for the real you, and most likely their family will, too! Talk about things you are passionate about and what interests you and you’re sure to make a good impression. 

Good luck out there collegiettes, and happy holidays! HCXO