14 Simple Ways to Show Your Valentine You Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

When most people imagine Valentine’s Day, their thoughts are overwhelmed with romantic ideas that will make their significant other melt to the core. Some might dream of a large bouquet of roses, and others might picture a beautiful candlelit dinner. While each of those options are incredibly kind gestures of love, it does not have to be so planned, or expensive. Here are fourteen simple yet lovely ways to express your feelings to the one who matters most.

1. Write your Valentine a note about the small yet perfect aspects of their personality that make them so special to you. Record all of the things that they do daily to make you smile. Discuss how they have molded you to be better in all aspects of your life. Last but not least, write about how you are slowly falling in love with every part of their being.

2. Surprise them. This could vary from cross-country travel to a small chocolate bar. Either way, your special someone will be ecstatic to see that you value spending time with them more than purchasing them frivolous things.

3. Gather your favorite photos together and combine them to make a beautiful collage and/or photo album. This is a perfect gift to remind your Valentine of all the unforgettable memories you have created together.

4. Have a pre-Valentine’s Day coffee date with your sweetheart. Make sure that your friends and your cell phone are not sitting in on your time together. This is the perfect opportunity to catch up with one another and create a flawless February 14th itinerary.

5. Plan something special. No, it does not need to be expensive, but your Valentine is sure to smile from ear-to-ear at the sight of your diligent effort to make things perfect.

6. Compliment your sweetheart. Of course you can always let your girl know that her dress is stunning, and your boyfriend deserves an acknowledgement of his hair, but make sure your compliments extend past physical characteristics. Remind your Valentine that they are strong. Make sure they know what a beautiful mind they have. Physical compliments are always reassuring, but intellectual compliments―those truly strike the soul.

7. Get dessert. Always get dessert.

8. Create a playlist of some rad songs you and your Valentine love most. Fun music is always perfect, but especially when you’re nervous. Just make sure you include gangsta rap. You cannot forget about the gansta rap.

9. Small and appropriate public displays of affection are always acceptable. A few examples might include holding hands, sharing your jacket when you’re cold, and sharing a milkshake with two straws. (That is my personal preference over the Lady and the Tramp move with spaghetti. So overrated).

10. Wear your Sunday best. Of course you aren’t going to the Prom, and more than likely you will not be getting married, so fancy-schmancy outerwear will not be necessary. However, invest a few ounces of extra effort into your appearance in all aspects. Your Valentine will smile knowing you found them worth preparing for.

11. Do not initiate small talk! That is never really acceptable, but especially not on Valentine’s Day. You certainly do not have to play 20 Questions with your special someone, but take the time to share in a meaningful conversation. Ask your Valentine deep, meaningful questions. Make it your personal goal to learn one thing about your loved one that you did not previously know before.

12. Don’t be afraid to express how you truly feel. Overcome that little voice in your head slowly trying to talk you out of it. Follow your heart and listen to your gut. They never lie.

13. On the other hand, don’t feel pressured to say or do anything you do not feel comfortable with. I will leave that open to your interpretation.

14. Ignore the butterflies roaring in your stomach―kiss her/him.

I hope these simple but meaningful suggestions spark your romantic creativity. Just remember that no matter what you plan, schedule, or wear, a true Valentine will love you for the incredible person you are.

“Each time you love, love as deeply as forever.” –Audre Lorde