Style > Beauty

13 WVWC Women Get Real About What Beauty Means to Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Some women wear makeup, others do not. Do women that don’t wear it feel more comfortable and secure than those who do? Does being an empowered woman mean running around with no bra and no makeup waving a feminist flag? Absolutely not!  Much like women themselves, self-confidence comes in many forms, shapes, sizes and colors.

With March being Women’s History Month, I decided to do some investigating around WVWC’s campus. The women you are about to read about are all beautiful, unique individuals who come from all walks of life. Here’s what these 12 ladies have to say about what makes them feel empowered and why:

1. Lauren Clower

A sophomore biology major here at WVWC, Lauren is looking forward to chasing her dream career as a physician’s assistant. Though she loves playing with makeup, she has no problem with being all natural, especially when she’s racing away at track meets!

2. Carina Perichino

Freshman, vocal performance major

“What makes me feel most empowered as a woman is my voice because I feel beautiful when I sing.”

3. Hannah Pulley

Freshman, athletic training major

“This picture makes me feel empowered because, as a WVWC lacrosse player, I get to do what I love and I’m really lucky to get to represent such a great school alongside such great people while I do it.”

4. Brooke Hinzman

Freshman, psychology major

“I honestly don’t understand why people put down girls for wearing makeup; most of us do it because it’s fun—not to impress or because we feel insecure without it.  For me, it’s a sure-fire way to relax and be creative with different looks.  Looking fierce as hell in the process is only an added bonus.”

5. Brehana Scott

Senior, public relations major

“Wrapping my hair like my ancestors have done for centuries makes me feel empowered, because I remember them for their sacrifice and for the long way we still have to go. Wearing a little mascara and a bright red lip makes me feel beautiful because it’s simple but gives me that extra bit of pizazz!”

6. Sarah Smith 

Sophomore, English and musical theatre major

“I feel the most empowered when I feel that my presence is meaningful. We never know who we might inspire. And there is nothing more rewarding than inspiring ourselves to become an even better version of ourselves.”

7. Carly Brand 

Freshman, graphic design major

“I feel empowered as a woman when I’m able to express myself through art and just be myself.”

8. Lauren Spadafore

Freshman, exercise science major

“I feel most empowered when I’m laughing, which happens to be 99 percent of the time. Even when things get hard to handle, my friends and family are always there to make sure I am wearing a smile on my face. Love and support are a huge part of my confidence in all I do in life.”

9. Carson Cunningham

Senior, public relations major

“I think my self-confidence and my accomplishments thus far in my life all play a major role in making me feel powerful as a woman.”

10. Sarah Hamrick 

Freshman, nursing major

“I am proud to feel empowered as a woman because being empowered allows me to feel beautiful, be confident in myself, and strive to accomplish my goals!”

11. Emily Kroll 

Freshman, accounting major

“I feel most empowered when I’m surrounded by my sisters. Their uplifting enthusiasm and never-ending support make me feel like I can achieve anything.” 

12. Maya Eberhart 

Freshman, musical theatre major 

Knowing my self worth makes me feel empowered as a woman because I’ve learned early on how to respect myself and others around me. Each day, I am learning to love and treat myself with the necessary respect that I deserve.” 

13. And then there’s me:

Freshman, chemistry major

“I feel empowered most in one of two situations: either when I am on stage performing or when I am succeeding academically. I think of myself as a unique individual because I have passion for science as well as art. Not many people can say the same.”

Just remember, collegiette: no matter where you come from or what you do, chase your passions, embrace your beauty, and let it shine. Show the world who you are and do not be ashamed. That, my lovely friends, is the true meaning of being beautiful.  

I love makeup and caffeine.
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !