This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

With your bags neatly packed near your door, here is a guide to ensure you are staying eco-friendly during this break:

Pack Light

The heavier an airplane is, the more CO2 it produces. Preferably pack in a backpack or handbag that you will be able to use during your break to carry your documents, wallet, cosmetics, among others.

Use Public Transportation

Act Like Home in a Hotel

Do not ask for clean towels every day (hang them, so they can dry and you can reuse them later on). Turn off and unplug all appliances you are not using, especially when leaving the hotel.

Closing the curtains and blinds can help keep rooms cool so you do not need to use the air conditioning or heater.

Bring everything reusable with you

Shopping bags, utensils (if you are planning to eat street food), toothbrush, shower cap and a multi-use razor.

Reserve water

Don’t do laundry until you have a full load, and when you do, use cold water.

.

While showering and brushing your teeth, turn the tap off when not using it; this could be while washing your hair, brushing your teeth, face cleaning, makeup removal or shaving.

Do not visit animal attractions

Do not visit or support facilities that allow activities such as walking with tigers, riding elephants and holding animals like tigers or sloths. These attractions often feature drugged, cruelly trained and overly stressed captive animals.

Use e-tickets

Adopt this for every single place you’re checking in, from hotel reservations, to museums, attractions and activities. This will help you keep everything in one place and saves trees.

Shop local or from indigenous artisans when you can

When you buy directly from an artist, you’re not only helping them feed their family, but in many cases, you’re helping to preserve their culture. 

Vanessa is a Venezuelan student at West Virginia University. She is majoring in Political Science, concentrating in International Relations, and minoring in Criminology. Outside of Her Campus, Vanessa serves as secretary for the International Student Organization, is a general member of the Student Government Organization and works as the event assistant at Brownfield’s office on campus. After graduation, Vanessa hopes to attend law school and graduate in Human Rights and International Law, and dreams of one day opening her own law-firm that specializes equal access to legal advice for all.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.