WVU joins the Big 12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

West Virginia University released a statement on Fri., Oct. 28 that it had accepted an invitation to join the Big 12 Conference. 

After many rumors and rumblings, and a last minute attempt by the University of Louisville to squeeze into the Big 12 rather than West Virginia, WVU President James Clements announced that West Virginia will get out of its contract with the Big East early and will become a member of the Big 12 as of July 1, 2012. 

“This is a very exciting time for WVU and the Mountaineer nation,” said Clements. “I am confident that the future of WVU athletics has never been more promising.”

WVU will join the likes of Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech and the incoming TCU in the Big 12. After Pitt and Syracuse announced that they would be leaving the Big East for the ACC in September, WVU knew they had to make a move, and fast. 

“In my opinion, we were on a ship that was sinking and we had to do something,” said former WVU football head coach and Hall of Famer Don Nehlen. “…the league we’re leaving is a weak football league. The one we’re joining is a very difficult league. It’s going to be week in and week out. It’s not going to be like having a chance to catch your breath.”

WVU athletic director Oliver Luck spoke at the WVU and Big 12 press conference on Tues., Nov. 1, along with Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas and Clements. Luck expressed his eagerness to improve WVU’s athletics through the Big 12.

“We look forward to competing. We look forward to our student athletes and our coaches developing legends,” said Luck.

To view the press conference, click here.

Rachel is a junior at West Virginia University and a direct-admit to the P.I. Reed School of Journalism, majoring in public relations with a minor in dance. She is the treasurer of the WVU chapter of Public Relations Student Society of America and a member of the WVU Dance Ensemble. Rachel is currently an intern with the Morgantown Area Chamber of Commerce, where she single-handedly designs, writes and edits the monthly newsletter. She also works part-time at Guess. Writing, dancing and fashion are all passions of Rachel’s. In her free time, she enjoys getting coffee, shopping (especially for high heels and dresses), tanning, sushi, reading, listening to music and being a closet movie buff. Rachel’s hometown is Pittsburgh, PA, where she hopes to return to live and work someday at a public relations agency.