Why You Should Be Keeping Up With the News

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

1. It’s unbelievably accessible.

As a generation, we are relentlessly reading and writing. We have constant access to the technology that keeps us connected– not only to our refined personal network, but to an infinite expanse of opinions and information.

Social media platforms can bring news straight to your feed, by simply following outlets, pages and accounts. By news, I do not mean the “Discover” page on Snapchat filled with stories about celebrity pregnancies and personality quizzes. I mean real news: newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events.

2. You vote. (And if you don’t, you should.)

We, as college students, are in critical formative years. We, too, have a strong voice and control in American politics. Our interests, values and beliefs are changing because we’re being exposed to education, teachers and peers that combined, build our identities.

Since you have the right to vote, it’s also critical that you become an informed voter. Know what you want, who you believe is going to best achieve that and include your voice in the country’s narrative.

3. You learn.

Reading anything is statistically proven to improve your communication abilities, including speaking, writing, vocabulary, etc. “Extensive reading was linked to superior performance on measures of general knowledge, vocabulary, spelling, verbal fluency and reading comprehension,” determined Cunningham and Stanovich in 1998.

4. We’re living in momentous times.

From presidential elections to local movements, legislation passed to culture created, history is unfolding before our eyes– and before our smartphones. Pay attention so that you can know about it, talk about it, and be a part of it. We are very fortunate to be exposed to so many different viewpoints and voices and that we can share in that dialogue with platforms we already use daily. 

Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.