free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Working in the Campus Dining Hall Is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Some people dread about getting a campus job to support their college finances. Some students work at the local restaurants or retail stores in order to make their income, but many students can be given the chance to work in one of the dining halls at their school. When you are asked where you work and respond the dining hall, that person’s expression comes back as oh…But, working in a dining hall is actually very fun!

While working in the dining halls, you get to meet many people you probably would not have met before, aka student workers and students getting food. Students never seem to be upset in the dining halls because they are receiving the best item in the world (food). Who could be in a bad mood when food is present?

When someone thinks of a dining hall, they most likely think of the nasty food and the “old lunch lady” setting that the movies show. But, in the college dining halls workers are always chatting with each other, playing good music and enjoying each others company. This is important because who likes work if you can’t even enjoy your co-workers company? That’s right, no one. Working in the dining halls, you will meet some of the nicest and caring people. Some dining halls have a mixture of full-time workers as well who contribute to the all day operations of the service. These people provide great advice for young college students as well.

Working in the dining halls also provides the most flexible schedule anyone could think of for a college student. Since the services is involved with the university, it gives much more freedom to create a schedule that revolves easily around your class and extra-curricular schedule. This is important for a student who needs to fund themselves during college but has a tough class load at the same time! Hours range from six hours and up to twenty hours, which gives a great range of options for students to work. Also, a lot of hours to work can range from two hours a day worked to all day, so that can be a short time period if you would like!

During your employment, there are so many shift options for workers. Each job is basically very simple and does not require any sort of previous skill or experience that someone must have had (except for cooking the food, but there is full-time staff for that). Whether you work in main line, deli, in the kitchen or in the dish room, there are plenty of jobs to cover.

With so many places to work on campus with great opportunities, if you need somewhere to work that gives you some quick cash and a flexible schedule to work around your school and personal life, a job in the campus dining hall is something you should consider!

I'm from Frederick, MD, but call Morgantown, WV my second home! I am a sophomore at WVU with a major in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Advertising and a minor in Business Administration. I am actively involved with being a sister of Alpha Xi Delta, U-92 FM, WVU AAF Ad Club and the Mountaineer Maniacs. 
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!