This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

From Fila’s to Balenciaga’s, we have all been met face to face with the ugly sneaker trend. Whether you’ve seen the runway looks, the Walmart knockoffs or the thousands of photos on Instagram, the “dad shoe” will never go out of style. The reason why goes way beyond a simple trend. 

Consider this: tennis shoes will always be a part of our wardrobe because they are a practical essential for everyday life. They are perfect for casual looks and necessary for athletic activities. 

It’s only common sense for fashion brands to turn something that is essential into something that is stylish. Take a look at these runway looks from this season:

Escada SS19

Prada SS19

Tory Burch SS19 

So how on Earth did the shoe my dad wears to cut grass become stylish? You aren’t alone in thinking this. Turns out, the trend became popular when celebrities such as Kendall Jenner and Haley Baldwin were seen wearing them. Fashionistas everywhere were intrigued by the 90’s style, the masculine appeal and the way the chunky silhouette made their legs look thinner. In the blink of an eye, fashion brands everywhere began producing a plethora of styles, and thus, a legacy was born. 

Once something is fashionable and commonly accepted by the majority of young, impressionable consumers, fashion brands will go to great lengths to produce as much of the item as they can. In other words, we are programmed to believe that we always need something new, so brands will continue to make alterations to something as simple as the tennis shoe to offer us something different. Take a look at the images below to see how many styles of dad shoes there are:

Gucci Woman’s Flashtreck Sneaker

Balenciaga Speed Trainers

LV Archlight Sneaker

So where will it go next? The ugly sneaker trend will never die because it is an essential staple and fashion brands will continue to capitalize on it. Styles will grow uglier and chunkier. Eventually, brands might offer us something with flashing lights or speakers attached, but whatever it is, millennials will go crazy for it.

So, go out and invest in your favorite style of “dad shoes.” Post a picture and feel like your most stylish self. This trend isn’t leaving the gram any time soon.

Edited by Geena Anderson

I am a first-year Fashion Merchandising student here at WVU. I love blogging and thrifting!
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.