Why I’m Thankful To Be A Mountaineer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The Holdiay Season is really the time of year where we all sit around and count our blessings.  It’s time to thank your family for always supporting you, your friends for always having your back, your boyfriend for loving you even when you don’t deserve it, your pets for giving you happiness, and so much more.  We all have something to be thankful for.  And in addition to all the great things in my life, I am more than thankful to have called WVU my home away from home these past three and a half years.  This year and for the next years to come, I am thankful to be a Mountaineer.

I’m thankful for the opportunity to pursue my passion.

WVU gives us the opportunity to accomplish our goals with the right preparation we need.  We are taught how to be a professional and a scholar.

I’m thankful for my professors who offer their knowledge, guidance, criticism, and feedback to make me a better student and individual.

We are blessed with professors who are prepared with credentials to help us learn as much as we can while we are here.   Their goals are to help us succeed.

I’m thankful for the technology available to me during my time here at WVU.

We are lucky to have the necessary software to learn or computers to use.  We have classrooms with projectors and equipment to make our learning easier and more effective.

I’m thankful for the friendships I have made.

There isn’t anyone quite like the people at WVU.  It is easy to make friends with people you have so much in common with. 

I’m thankful for WVU football and the opportunity to watch our team play in a beautiful stadium.

We take sports seriously here.  There is nothing like supporting our teams to do the best that they can.  It is truly great to be a part of something like that.

I’m thankful for getting the opportunity to sing “Country Roads” with an entire stadium of WVU fans.

Nothing gives me cold chills quite like “Country Roads.”  Gathering with friends, fans, family, and all of those who share the same love of West Virginia that you do, and singing together is a remarkable experience.  It’s the perfect way to celebrate a win.

I’m thankful for a beautiful campus to call my home away from home.

No matter the weather, our campus continues to be stunning.  Is there anything more beautiful than the views around campus?

I’m thankful for Morgantown and its generous hospitality to all of the WVU students.

Being a Morgantown resident isn’t always easy, we as students create traffic, noise, and lots more, but we are never made feel not welcome.  Morgantown takes us in and makes us feel right at home.

I’m thankful for West Virginia because I couldn’t imagine living somewhere else.

Out of all the states in the U.S., West Virginia is by far my favorite.  Maybe I’m a little biased, but it just feels like home.  We are given beautiful views and weather.  The people are kind and generous.  What more could you ask for?

When the time comes and we leave WVU for good, we will all have an experience to look back on and be thankful.  So, on Thanksgiving Day, don’t forget to show WVU some love the way it has shown you.  Let’s Go Mountaineers!

Kaitlyn is a senior print journalism major at West Virginia University with a minor in music performance.  She enjoys writing, playing music, being outdoors and binge watching Netflix.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.