This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

In recent months the name Brett Kavanaugh has been plastered across American and international news cycles.

Kavanaugh is President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, aiming to replace Justice Kennedy who announced his retirement this summer. Kennedy was a long time Supreme Court Justice and frequently the swing vote on a lot of hot-button issues.

Over the past few weeks, Kavanaugh has been going through his confirmation hearings to join the SCOTUS. These hearings have been filled with protests and opposition to Kavanaugh’s views and policies.

Roe V. Wade

Many fear Kavanaugh will sway the Supreme Court to the far right, swaying votes in the direction of conservative values. Many believe that if confirmed he will try to overturn Roe v. Wade– the defining case supporting women’s right to choose. However, he has said he would respect the former SCOTUS decision. Nonetheless, many are still alarmed that President Trump’s appointee still has the power to overturn the reproductive decision.

Net Neutrality

Kavanaugh has also spoken out in favor of overturning Net Neutrality– he says that it goes against the first amendment and infringes on internet provider’s rights. Net Neutrality provides equal internet access for all and doesn’t discriminate in price over what you are using it for.

Sexual Assault (…?)

Earlier this summer, Kavanaugh was accused of sexual assault in a letter sent to a Democratic lawmaker. In this letter, the author; Christine Blasey Ford, claims that Kavanaugh assaulted her almost 30 years ago. Although Kavanaugh has denied this claim, it has definitely affected his attempt to be confirmed as a Supreme Court Justice.

On Friday, September 28th 2018, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford testified against Kavanaugh in his confirmation hearings. Two more women have come forward and accused Kavanaugh of sexual assault or  claimed to have witnessed him assault someone Judge Kavanaugh still maintains that he is innocent during this time. These new allegations are prompting people to ask for an FBI investigation into Kavanaugh’s history, which could drag out his trial even longer.

Since this case has come forward, many are calling for a halt in the trials until the sexual assault accusations are looked at in depth. Many who are in opposition of Kavanaugh are hoping this is enough to completely halt his nomination. The final vote is expected Saturday, according to CNN.

Zaida Pring is a freshman at West Virginia University, seeking a B.S in Political Science with a minor in Women and Gender Studies. After undergrad she hopes to attend law school and fight for global human rights with the United Nations.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.