What You Should Know about the Day of the Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

International Day of the Girl was on October 11, 2017.  The website dayofthegirl.org states that their mission is “to help galvanize worldwide enthusiasm for goals to better girls’ lives, providing an opportunity for them to show leadership and reach their full potential.”  There are millions of girls around the world that do not have the opportunity to get educated and follow a path to success. Approximately 66 million girls globally are not getting an education.

“We want ourselves, and girls everywhere, to be seen as equals, in the eyes of others and in our own eyes.”

There are over 150,000,000 girls that have been sexually assaulted around the world. Because of this, 75% of girls in Africa have AIDS. The number one cause of death in these young girls ages 15 through 19, is childbirth.

Legally, girls are not allowed to get married until they’re 18. But in some countries, parents marry off their daughters at ages as young as 7. To men two times or three times their age. They feel like they have no other option. Since females do not have many rights in some countries, they have a higher risk of death, or they won’t be able to afford to provide for themselves.

So what can you do? Get involved, join the movement, and make a difference for these young girls by visiting dayofthegirl.org and select what you would like to volunteer for.  You can also educate yourself on their website by clicking around and exploring. Help these girls get justice and equality!

Alexa is a junior at West Virginia University, studying honors public relations with a minor in Spanish and strategic social media. She is an editor and YouTube director for Her Campus WVU. Alexa entertains herself with funny YouTube videos, travel, and Netflix binge-watching. Her post-graduation plans haven't been mapped out quite yet, but she hopes to do something that will keep her creativity flowing.
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.