Culture > News

Volunteer Discusses Sundale Nursing Home’s ‘Presents for Patients’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

HC: Introduce yourself! Name, major, hometown, etc.

HB: Hello! My name is Hope Boone. I am an honors freshman double majoring in Accounting and Management Information Systems. I am from Greenbrier County, West Virginia.

HC: What is “Presents for Patients”?

HB: Presents for Patients is a project in nursing homes to bring joy to long-term care patients during the holiday season. The local extension at Sundale has 100 patients who we are trying to find donations of gifts for before the holidays. Please consider helping make the holidays a little brighter for nursing home residents. Each year local individuals and groups such as churches, clubs, businesses, schools and families join together to purchase hundreds of gifts for nursing home residents in Morgantown.

HC: How does this service affect the patients?

HB: This service helps the patients receive gifts for Christmas. Some of them are less fortunate and do not have loving families or the funds to buy Christmas gifts. This project helps all of the patients to receive gifts and have Christmas spirit!

HC: What are your goals with his service project?

HB: Sundale accepts monetary donations (made out to Sundale Resident Council) as well as physical gift donations. You can ‘adopt a patient’ at https://www.sundalecare.com/presents-for-patients, or choose to collect miscellaneous gifts that will be distributed to patients, such as: personal care items (shampoo, body wash, etc.), stuffed animals, easy craft supplies, room decorations, puzzles, coloring books with crayons or colored pencils, easy games, sweatshirts, sweaters, blankets, socks, nightgowns and pajamas, tissues, costume jewelry, large print books and more. Wrap the items and add a note to the outside saying what is enclosed and if applicable, what size. (Items not wrapped will still be gratefully accepted!) Donations can be submitted to the Sundale facility in Morgantown. Please contact Diane Kisinger (304) 599-0497 or dlkiss02@yahoo.com if you have any further questions.

HC: Do you plan to continue working with them in the future?

HB: They are part of a service learning course (the honors section of the business first-year seminar), so they have new groups to assist them each year. Therefore, I would probably not work with this specific organization again due to the lack of need, but I would potentially work with a different one in need.

Jaylin McManus is a senior at WVU studying marketing.
Her Campus at West Virginia University