This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Love is in the air again, and you don’t know what to get your significant other this Valentine’s Day. There are many things to consider when getting a gift for a day all about love. How personal do you want to be? What type of gift will they want to receive? Will they even want a gift?

One way to give the perfect gift is based on your significant other’s love language. A love language is the way you enjoy expressing and receiving love. Everyone is different, and because of this, we all have different ways of communicating. While knowing you and your partner’s love languages can strengthen your relationship, it can also be a great way of determining a gift. If you are unsure of what your love language is, use this link to find out: https://www.5lovelanguages.com/quizzes/

Quality Time: 

When it comes to quality time (my love language) it is important that you give your partner your full attention when you are with them. They feel the most fulfilled when you are actively listening and making eye contact with them. When it comes to gifts, an experience is what will be best. This could be an activity or trip that will allow you and your partner to be together and focus on the moment that you are sharing. Some examples may be a painting class, a weekend getaway to a town near you or two of the same book that you guys could read together.

Acts of Service:

If your partner’s love language is acts of service, they want to see you putting in the effort to help them make their life easier. Whether this is doing the dishes after they have had a long day or running an errand for them, your partner wants to see you care enough to help them. When getting a gift, consider something that may help make your partner’s life easier when you are not there, such as a gift card to cover the next month of groceries, or help them with maintenance around their house.

Words of Affirmation:

For a partner who’s love language is words of affirmation, they need the verbal acknowledgement that you love them. Whether it be a simple “I love you” or a complement out of the blue, your partner feels best when you are communicating that you love them often. When giving a gift to someone who likes words of affirmation, one of the best gifts can be a love letter. Other options include a custom playlist, a book with comments in it for them or even a video of you expressing your love.

Physical Touch:

Physical touch is a love language that solely involves being near your partner. If your partner’s love language is physical touch, they enjoy kisses, hugs, holding hands and cuddling. They crave the feeling of being near you, and it strengthens their love for you. When it comes to gifts, consider getting lotions and oils to give them a massage, matching pajamas to cuddle in or doing a dance class together.

Receiving Gifts:

The final love language is receiving gifts. When saying this, it means your partner enjoys receiving symbols of your love. This does not mean you have to spend your money on a gift. Handmade or small gifts that show that you put thought into them are the best gifts for someone whose love language is receiving gifts. Some ideas include a picture frame with a photo of you and your significant other, a series of gifts to open within the span of a few days, or if you do want to splurge, buy them something nice you know they wouldn’t buy for themselves.

Her Campus at West Virginia University