Article Graphic. Made With Canva
Article Graphic. Made With Canva
Design by Lani Beaudette / Canva
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

TW & CW: suicide, suicidal thoughts

Sept. 10 was World Suicide Prevention Day— a day which thousands across the world recognize as a marker of the ongoing push to destigmatize mental health and mental illness. Arguably now more than ever, discussing and having transparent conversations regarding mental health has become more prevalent and necessary in today’s climate. 

The many misconceptions surrounding mental health and suicide often impact how these issues are understood and approached. Misconceptions, along with a general lack of knowledge, prevent people from seeking help and prevent us from making progress as a society. Although the topics of suicide and suicide ideation, also referred to as suicidal thoughts, are often uncomfortable or even “scary” to talk or think about, doing exactly that are the first steps in destigmatizing mental health and illness.

Laptop with text on the screen that reads "Mental Health" on a white carpet
Photo by Polina Zimmerman on Pexels

Blanket terms get tossed around to define symptoms or characteristics of mental illnesses and can be incredibly harmful. There is not a “one-size-fits-all” experience with mental illness. 

So what exactly is suicide ideation?

Simply put, suicide ideation is the preoccupation with the idea and thought of suicide. While the definition may seem self-explanatory, there is a widespread tendency to throw around certain terms involving suicide and mental illness all too flippantly, without an awareness of the meanings and weight of these words.  To further understand suicide ideation, it is important to note there are two types of suicide ideation: passive and active.

According to a Very Well Mind article by Marcia Purse, “passive suicidal ideation occurs when you wish you were dead or that you could die, but you don’t actually have any plans to commit suicide. Active suicidal ideation, on the other hand, is not only thinking about it but having the intent to commit suicide, including planning how to do it.”  Healthline lists possible warning signs and symptoms to look out for. 

Understanding the complexities of suicide and using more accurate terminology in our conversations will continue to have a positive impact on how we destigmatize mental health. 

There are several factors that can lead to suicidal ideation. While conditions such as depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are often associated with an increased risk of suicidal ideation, there are numerous, more “everyday” factors that can cause suicidal thoughts. Life events and or everyday situations such as grief, financial stressors and rejection can play a role. In fact, mental health experts say that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, suicide ideation is a rising concern, meaning you don’t have to have a debilitating condition to experience certain thoughts and feelings. Remember, you are not alone and you shouldn’t hesitate to seek help. 

With information and resources regarding mental health and mental illness becoming more accessible, it is important that we stay on the right track. That means continuing to encourage open conversations and ensuring that people receive the support they need and deserve. 

The National Suicide Prevention Line offers 24/7 confidential support, and the Carruth Center at WVU offers telehealth and online services for students. 

Edited By: Cheyenne Oakes 

Zoë Skvarka is a senior MDS major at WVU. Zoë grew up living overseas, going back and forth between Turkey and Greece. Zoë is passionate about activism, fashion, alternative pop culture and art in all of its forms.
Kasey is a senior at West Virginia University from Elkton, Maryland. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Strategic Social Media, Sport Communications and Fashion Merchandising. She loves writing, being outdoors, listening to music and going to concerts. Most importantly, she is an avid Katy Perry fan. In the future, she hopes to do PR for a sports team.