The Truth Behind Secrets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

According to Merriam-Webster, gossip is defined as “a person who habitually reveals personal or sensational facts about others”.  This definition, however, alters between males and females.

A male’s form of gossip depends on an interesting piece of information that can make his buddies respond in laughter, due to humiliation of another person’s expense or a juicy sex scandal that empowers their masculinity.

There is nothing more obvious than when a group of guys walks past “one of their own” and gestures the “way to go dude” or “you da man” head nod. Is this physical male gesture worth a fabricated story that will most like ruin a female’s reputation?

On the other hand, girls do this to themselves. A piece of gossip that lays sacred in a female’s hand is like a form of power. Power can be dangerous, especially in girl world.

The unwritten rules to bash reputations or high-fives with your “home boys” are actually a form of social behavior that individuals develop in their everyday lives.  This behavior is encouraged from social influences, such as the media, which can sometimes shape flaky behavior.

Director Mark Walters is not to blame for the creation of the plastics.  His 2004 “Mean Girls” film highlights the evil capabilities that can derive from such mouth-watering secrets.

One famous segment from the film:

“Gretchen Wieners knows everybody’s business, she knows everything about everyone,” said Janis.

“That’s why her hair is so big, it’s full of secrets,” said Damian.

Secrets can tare friendships and self-esteems to shreds. The juicier the gossip, the faster word spreads.

Will the gossip world ever slow down?

[ pagebreak ] 

Dr. Dilks, Sociology professor from West Virginia University, suggests that the Meam Theory is the reason behind such scandalous behaviors between peer groups.

The Meam Theory insinuates that items of gossip are like living things that seek to reproduce. When humans reproduce a tantalizing piece of gossip, it can spread like wildfire.

A socially influenced behavior that is compared to a large combustible, destructive fire is frightening.

With this said, it is important to remember that fabricated pieces of information could hurt a person.  Remember to think about a secret before spreading it, or stop the gossip from turning into a disaster that can only end in someone else’s heartache. 

Becca is a junior from Collegeville, Pennsylvania. She attends West Virginia University where she is pursing a major in Advertising and minors in Business and Communications. She is involved in the Martin-Hall Agency, which is the advertising club for the University. She is currently interning as an American Eagle Campus Representative for WVU, where she works with two other girls to promote the brand on campus. In her spare time, she loves to shop, read, play field hockey and, of course, eat. Living right outside of Philly her whole life, she can’t resist a good cheesesteak and an awesome Phillies game. She looks forward to graduating college and finding a job working at a large advertising firm in either Pittsburgh or back home in Philly.