Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Traveling Tips For Broke College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Spring and summer break can be frustrating sometimes for your typical “broke college student.” While your friends might be jet-setting across the country or the world from the pockets of their parents, you are sitting at home working almost every day. Summer and winter breaks don’t seem as great as they used to be when you had no financial responsibilities. However, traveling on a strict budget is possible if you are smart about your money. 

Use Google Flights

If you plan on flying to your destination, utilize google flights to score deals on your plane tickets. By typing in your travel window (possible dates) google flights will compare the cheapest flights available based on airlines and fly times. If you are flexible with your travel dates, you can find even cheaper deals too. Flying on a Tuesday at 6 in the morning is often way cheaper than flying out on a Saturday afternoon. While you might not be flying in luxury, you will be saving hundreds of dollars. Another money-saving traveling option is driving! If you are going somewhere within the country, sucking it up and driving 12 hours will help you save as well. 

Plan Ahead Of Time

This almost goes without saying, but a better-planned trip will cost you less. If you plan trip months in advance you will be able to save up more. Additionally, flights are less expensive when you book ahead of time. You will have more time to stalk airline prices and lodging, which often fluctuate depending on the time of year. Stronger planning will definitely help you save in the future.

Use Airbnb Or A Hotel Booking Website

Sometimes lodging can seem like the most expensive part of your vacation- but it doesn’t have to be. There are plenty of websites that are here to make booking a place to stay easy. Airbnb is a great resource for inexpensive, nice places to stay. You rent an apartment or hotel directly from the owner, and oftentimes save a lot of money instead of getting a hotel room. Airbnb is especially money-saving when you split the cost of the place with a larger group of people, but this depends on the area you’re staying in. Websites like hotels.com or booking.com are here to simplify the process of finding hotel rooms. By browsing these sites, you can put your travel information in, and the site will calculate some of the best options ranked by ratings, prices and customer reviews. These websites form a cohesive list of hotels in your area and make it easy to do research on the best places to stay. 

Travel Rewards Points

Some airlines, major credit cards and travel websites offer rewards for each time you book with their company. With Hotels.com, you book 9 hotels through their website and get your 10th night free. Some airlines such as Delta offer rewards programs if you fly with their airline or partner airlines each time you fly. By tracking your total amount of mileage, you can work your way up to a free flight. If you’re savvy with credit cards, you can apply for ones like Capital One or Chase Sapphire Preferred to earn miles and free hotel stays each time you use your card (like you can earn points even when you pay for your groceries!) Do your research to see which travel rewards program the best for you would be (or use all of them if you wish). 

Travelling can seem daunting especially when you’re doing it by yourself or with friends for the first time and aren’t sure how to budget your money. Even with a small budget, you can still get your bang for your buck if you utilize your researching skills to the maximum. Be smarter with the money that you have and stretch it as far as you can. Don’t let your budget hold you back from living out your traveling dreams.

Juliet is a senior at West Virginia University and is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in political science. She is interested in using her knowledge as a public relations student to work in government or politics.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.