brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Tips for Finding the Perfect Camera

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

There are many ways to go about picking a camera that is suitable for you. Before even picking one up, you need to determine what the camera will be used for and a price range that you can afford. Cameras can definitely be expensive and buying other equipment for it can make a big dent in your bank account.

There are six main styles of cameras that have different abilities for picture taking. Each of them definitely has its own pros and cons, but you just need to figure out which one will be best for you.

Compact Digital Camera

Pros: A compact digital camera is the most common and the most affordable. It is a small, palm-sized camera that is great if you are on the go. It is very simple to use and will adjust the settings for you, such as brightness, so you don’t have to. It can fit right inside of your pocket and there are no extra lenses or equipment for it. The only thing you’ll have to worry about is making sure it is charged and you’re all set.

Cons: If you are into more pristine photography, this camera has a lower resolution and a slower focus. It has a limited zoom range and you can’t customize the shutter speed. It is more ideal for people who want a better picture than their smartphone camera.

Digital SLR

Pros: The Digital SLR camera is what you want if you want to take more professional photographs. It has a higher resolution, customizable settings and large sensors for a clearer image. It is bulkier than the compact camera, but it usually comes with a thick strap so you can hang it around your neck for easier use.

Cons: Although this camera takes better photos, it can be way more expensive and it needs more equipment. At first, it can be more difficult to use, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll be ready to take some beautiful pictures.

Mirrorless Camera

Pros: The mirrorless camera is basically a mix of the compact and the DSLR. It is very small in size and simple to use like the compact but has the ability to do what the DSLR can. It is becoming very popular because of it’s higher quality and ability to shoot more photographs at faster speeds.

Cons: It has a shorter battery life, so remember to keep it charged.

Action Camera

Pros: An action camera is self-explanatory – it’s for people on the move and going on cool adventures. It captures moments while you’re doing them and you can also turn them into videos. It is very small as well and one of the most durable cameras since they’re made for action.

Cons: It has a fixed focus so you can’t change it yourself and it has a limited zoom.

360 Camera

Pros: The 360 camera is not a camera that is used in everyday activities. They’re mainly good for taking pictures on vacations of beautiful resorts and scenery. It comes as a sphere shape with the camera lens on the front.

Cons: Although being able to take 360 photos and being mountable on any surface, it is very sensitive to shaking and has a low resolution. You can only view the images digitally and its difficult for them to catch frame shots.

Polaroid Camera

Pros: Last, but surely not least, film cameras are becoming very popular again, but they aren’t made for professional photographs. These cameras are made more for taking group photos with your friends or when you’re having a good time at a party. The pictures are perfect for hanging around your room and give to your friends.

Cons: After a while, the cost of a film can get very expensive. It also only prints out one copy so you’ll have to take more than one if you want more.

If you think you know what camera you are looking for, check out the different styles online, the varying prices or even go into a store that sells them to talk to the associates! They can give you helpful information about each one and how to work them. Don’t be afraid to ask questions because it’s your precious money that you’re spending. You want something that will last and give you what you’re looking for!

Maddie is a freshman at West Virginia University from Seaford Delaware. She is currently studying strategic communications and is minoring in photography and Spanish. She enjoys taking pictures, going on walks, and loving on dogs. She hopes to get more involved within the university and meet many new people!
Her Campus at West Virginia University