bullet journalingpng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bullet journalingpng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

Tips For Bullet Journaling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Ah, it’s that time of year again. Everyone is making resolutions for a new year and now a new decade. Many people are trying to live healthier lifestyles, take more time to focus on mental health and allow themselves to be more creative. 

One of the best ways to wrap these resolutions into one is by bullet journaling. It is a creative way of designing your own planner tailored to your lifestyle. Many of my friends, myself included, have tried to hop on this trend and make it a part of our daily routines but it just seemed to be too much of a hassle. Now that the New Year has started, I have decided to have another go at bullet journaling and it has been a great way for me to keep track of events in my life while also expressing my creativity.

For my fellow journal enthusiasts out there, here are a few tips and tricks I have picked up for bullet journaling without it being overwhelming. 

1. Where to look for inspiration

Before I actually start creating monthly and weekly spreads, I look to many social media sites for inspiration such as Pinterest and YouTube. Pinterest has always been a place for creative ways to plan parties, search for gift ideas and come up with how to create your own decorations. Now, there are numerous ideas for bullet journals such as monthly themes, different types of lists and trackers for things such as expenses or exercise. YouTube is almost the same concept except you are watching someone do a step by step of how they set up their journal. This allows you to follow along with them while you set up your own. 

2. Adding your own flair                                             

After I have my basic layout of how I want my bullet journal to look, I start to add decorations to each page. For my own, I like to use different patterned washi tape and add doodles that fit my theme. I have found that washi tape and stickers help to add texture to each page and add to my monthly theme. I am not gifted when it comes to elaborate art, so it doesn’t put any pressure on myself and it is an easy, minimalistic way to decorate. I also like to add sparkles or small drawings such as cacti, wildflowers, and forest creatures. This helps to fill space and add a personal touch to each spread. 

3. It is what you want it to be

Bullet journaling is not meant to be something that fits with everything you see on social media. Many bullet journal influencers have had a lot of experience with making their journal the way they want it to look. They have tried many different styles and have found the one that suits them the best. You have to remember that this is something for you to express your creativity while also keeping track of activities in your daily life. It may take a few layouts for you to find what fits your lifestyle the best. It is all just a part of the process. 

Those were just a few tips I have found helpful when creating my own bullet journal. I hope this has helped some of you out there in the bullet journaling scene or those who are ready to dive in!

Edited by Kenzie Dye 

Allison Ball is a sophomore at West Virginia University studying English. She enjoys reading, writing, and attending football games.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.