This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

It’s that time of the year again where grades are almost due, the semester is almost over and everyone is cramming their workload in to enjoy a peaceful Thanksgiving break. But what if I told you, you can relax during your week-long vacation and still get your schoolwork done? It seems impossible, right? Wrong.

Here are some tried-and-true methods for bettering your time management skills.

Set alarms for yourself. 

If you allow yourself a certain amount of time to work on a project, then you can treat yourself to a break afterward. Just set an alarm on your phone for the desired amount of time you want to do work and lay it far across the room so you aren’t distracted.

Set realistic expectations.

Try not to save all your work for Thanksgiving break because trust me, it will all come back to bite you. Get as much work done as you can and whatever isn’t finished (or due), just do over vacation. This way, you won’t want to pull your hair out over the crazy workload.

Allow time for self-care and family.

This one seems redundant to add to the list, but it is one of the most important. Taking time for yourself is something so minuscule that we often forget about it in college. Make sure to spend time with family and friends this week since that is what Thanksgiving is about. As a famous sign from Hobby Lobby once said, be “Thankful, Grateful, Blessed.”

Make a to-do list and plan ahead.

By making a to-do list, you are more likely to remember what needs to be done. It is also super satisfying to cross out an item once you have completed it. Planning ahead helps alleviate some of the stress that comes with having a heavy workload. By spacing out assignments, it will help with your performance and your sanity.

Effective time management is key for getting your schoolwork done whilst still trying to enjoy Thanksgiving break. The holidays can be a great refresh for one’s self but work still needs to be completed. By utilizing these tips, it can be much easier to get things done without getting frustrated.

Edited by Kenzie Dye

Nikki is a Medical Laboratory Science major at WVU. She was born and raised in a small town southwest of Pittsburgh, PA. In her free time, she enjoys being outside whenever possible and hanging out with her friends. A few of her favorite things are cats, yoga, and double fudge brownie ice cream. Whenever she isn’t binge watching “Chopped”, you can most likely find her looking for cute photo opportunities around town. Those pictures can be found on her instagram @nikki.triplett
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.