TikTok Beauty Trends. Article Graphic. Made with Canva
Lani Beaudette
Style > Beauty

TikTok Beauty Trends: Worth The Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Usually, you get beauty trends and inspiration from a magazine, or even Instagram. However, if you haven’t heard about the new social media tycoon, TikTok, you better download it immediately. In recent months this video-sharing social media platform has gained quick popularity. According to Wallaroo Media, in November 2019, the app had 680 million active users. As of now, it has skyrocketed to 800 million active users. Now, with its popularity and short-lived videos, trends are coming and going. The latest trend is diving into the beauty industry. Users typically post their skincare routine or their Ulta hauls. Each video describes the product and why it has helped them. With this trend, there have been a few products to gain attention.

One of the most raved about products is the e.l.f. Cosmetics lip exfoliator. What is interesting about this product is, unlike other brands, such as Lush and Milani, which keep their scrubs in small pods, e.l.f’s lip exfoliant is in the shape of a lipstick. Many TikTok videos have praised this product for how smooth it makes your lips, the easy application, and how affordable it is. This product only costs $4 in comparison to many lip scrubs that can cost up to $20.

One brand that is highly discussed on TikTok is The Ordinary. This brand presents low costing facial products that have promising results. The AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution ($7.20) helps smooth over skin and eliminate blemishes and fine lines. Users on TikTok enjoy this product because when applied, it gives the appearance of blood running down your face. This is why it is also known as the vampire peel. The Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% ($6.80) has similar effects as the vampire peel, but it is made for more sensitive skin types.

The last product that many users have said cleared their acne is the Urban Skin Rx Even Tone Cleansing Bar ($14.99). This product comes with a sponge, and after wetting it, you dab it in the cleanser in the pod and wash your face. It exfoliates your skin and it is said to be for all skin types. On TikTok, users have created videos that track their improvements after using the cleansing bar. One thing each of these products has in common, other than low prices, is that they are all cruelty-free.

On top of these skincare products, one trend that many users enjoy is skincare experts reviewing products and other users’ skincare routines. One TikToker that is popular is @skincarebyhyram. Hyram is a skincare specialist who runs not only a TikTok account but a youtube channel as well. When Hyram reviews skincare routines, he gives advice on how to improve a routine and what products can help one’s skin.

Overall, the TikTok beauty community is one that is growing and meant to help others. In the future, look towards TikTok to see what will help your skin and save your wallet.

Lani Beaudette is a sophomore at West Virginia University majoring in Journalism in the honors college. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she writes for Mirage Magazine and is the Social Media Coordinator at the Media Innovation Center on campus. In her free time, Lani enjoys reading, working out and hanging with her sisters in AOII
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.