This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

During quarantine, I have developed both a TikTok and an online shopping addiction. This has led me to try more new beauty products than I ever have before. I’m normally the type of person that sticks with my tried and true products because change makes me nervous, and I hate to waste my money on a product that isn’t worth it. However, TikTok users provide unbiased, non-professional reviews that make products more tempting to buy. Most of these users reviewing products are young people around the same age as me, who aren’t being paid to tell me to buy the product. They are just regular people who want to share the best products they have found. In recent years I have been turned off from buying products advertised on Instagram and Youtube, because it’s obvious that influencers are just trying to make a profit from your sale and their #ad. The authenticity of Tik Tok users has persuaded me to try a couple of new products. Some I’ve loved, and some I’ve hated. I want to honestly review these products to see if some of these new cult-classics live up to the hype. 

Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask

Price: $22.00

Juliet’s rating: 6/10

The Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask is meant to be applied before bed because it is advertised to be a sleeping lip mask. However, I use it throughout the day because I don’t think it’s too heavy for everyday wear. It’s a little bit sticky, but it’s not unbearable. I love chapstick and lip balm, and I frequently apply it throughout the day. I can’t go anywhere without some type of lip balm. This product comes in a very tiny package that was so much smaller than what I was expecting for the price. A big tub of Vaseline is only $1.79, and this lip mask was very comparable, in my opinion. The way that this product was hyped up made me think it was different than any other hydrating chapstick, but I didn’t see any noticeable difference. This product is worth a try, but it’s not worth the large price tag. Despite my disappointment in this product, I did not see any other negative reviews. I won’t be repurchasing this. 

The Ordinary AHA BHA Peeling Solution

Price: $7.20

Juliet’s rating: 10/10

The Ordinary AHA BHA chemical peel is my new holy grail skincare product. This peel is meant to be used one to two times per week, for up to ten minutes at a time. I recommend starting with five minutes and building your way up, because this product is very strong. It definitely has an itching and slight burning sensation because of its chemical composition. However, if the burning is too uncomfortable, then wash it off right away. This product uses AHA and BHA chemicals to brighten your skin and even out the skin tone. I apply this at night before starting my regular skin care routine, so I can wash my face to get it off. The next day, my skin is noticeably brighter and glowier. For only $7.20 for a bottle that lasts at least a couple of months, the price and results are definitely worth giving it a try.

CeraVe Hydrating Sunscreen SPF 30

Price: $17.99

Juliet’s rating: 2/10

@Skincarebyhyram convinced me to try this product after my usual SPF product ran out. This one is substantially cheaper than my usual SPF so I thought I would give it a try. CeraVe products are good for sensitive skin, and this product contains niacinamide, which makes the skin glowy and hydrated. I hated this product when I tried it. The sunscreen left a terribly noticeable white cast on my face, no matter how much I rubbed it in. Even with my already pale skin, the leftover product made my face look like a ghost. It also left an uncomfortable feeling on my face that lasted almost the whole day. I would not recommend this product to anyone. 

Tree Hut Body Scrub

Price: $6.59

Juliet’s rating: 10/10

The Tree Hut Body Scrub is a shea butter sugar exfoliant. It comes in a large 18-ounce container, and there are so many different scents to choose from. I chose the Coco-Colada scent and was not disappointed. This scrub smells delicious and made a noticeable difference when I used it before shaving my legs. It exfoliated my skin well, making it smooth and hydrated at the same time. For the low price of $6.59 and the large amount of product that you receive, this product is worth trying. I will continue to repurchase this and will try out different scents as well. 

Kristen Ess Dry Shampoo

Price: $14.00

Juliet’s rating: 8/10

I came across this product from @Mattloveshair and had to give it a try. My favorite dry shampoo is twice the price of this one so I had to see if it lived up to my expectations. I rely on dry shampoo throughout the week to keep my hair fresh in between washes. I work out once a day so I need something strong to diffuse the oil. This dry shampoo met my expectations. The one thing that I did not like about this product is that it leaves a white residue that needs to be rubbed in thoroughly. Kristen Ess does have a brunette dry shampoo, but I wasn’t sure how it would match with my reddish-brown hair. Although it didn’t beat my favorite high-end dry shampoo, this product is a great affordable option that did the trick. 

Juliet is a senior at West Virginia University and is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in political science. She is interested in using her knowledge as a public relations student to work in government or politics.
Kasey is a senior at West Virginia University from Elkton, Maryland. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Strategic Social Media, Sport Communications and Fashion Merchandising. She loves writing, being outdoors, listening to music and going to concerts. Most importantly, she is an avid Katy Perry fan. In the future, she hopes to do PR for a sports team.