From Thrifting to Drive-Ins: How to Enjoy Your Staycation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Staycations, or vacations spent at home involving day trips to local attractions, are growing more and more popular. No matter if your staycation replaces a real vacation or if you just need a few days of relaxing, here are some tips to make your staycation the best one yet.

1. Go to a local waterpark.

Now, this may sound like an activity for little kids, but water parks can be so fun! It is a great way to get in your vitamin D and get a nice tan. Some waterparks near the Morgantown area include Sandcastle in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Splash Zone in Clarksburg, West Virginia.

2. Settle in at a drive-in.

Drive-in movies are a classic summertime activity and what is better than making a blanket fort in the trunk of a car, eating yummy snacks and watching a movie with your friends? The closest drive-ins to Morgantown are the Sunset Drive-In in Shinnston, West Virginia, and the Skyview Drive-In in Carmichaels, Pennsylvania.

3. Thrift shop for some “new-to-you” clothes.

Thrift shopping is becoming so trendy and is also a great way to recycle! Thrift shops can be found all over the place and are an amazing way to get a ton of new pieces at such a low price. Some thrift shops in Morgantown include Uptown Cheapstake, Goodwill and The Ranch Community Store. Altering the clothes after you have bought them can be even more fun than shopping for them. Try tie-dyeing some white clothes or cutting up some old t-shirts into crop tops. Most importantly get creative with it!

4. Craft some DIY popsicles

A super fun activity with an even more fun result is trying new recipes! Popsicles are a great summertime treat because they cool you down on a hot day and get some fresh fruit into your diet. This activity is even better for rainy days because you don’t even have to leave your house. Just invite over some friends, stay inside and try to make one of 34 DIY popsicle recipes.

Sierra Powers is a sophomore public relations major with a double minor in event planning and interactive design for media. In addition to Her Campus, she loves dancing on the WVU Hip Hop Dance Team and obsessing over her hometown of Pittsburgh, PA. And she is a huge reality TV and Diet Dr. Pepper enthusiast. She can't wait to write about entertainment, fitness, and more!
Her Campus at West Virginia University