This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

With the summer heat going away, it is easy to think that time outside is officially over. However, the sun is out year-round, giving off the same effect that it does in the summer. Many people do not realize that the sun is capable of giving off UV rays, specifically UVB and UVA rays, that can lead to severe burning, and in some serious cases, skin cancer. Sunscreen was formulated with the intent of helping prevent UV rays from reaching your skin and damaging it as badly. Excessive sun exposure can also lead to premature aging, dark spots and wrinkles, and no one wants those. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, UVB rays can damage skin all year and UVA rays are everywhere, meaning that no time of year is safe from those either.   With the summer bliss fading away and the workload of the school year setting in, it is easy to skip this part of your morning routine. But I’m here to tell you that the only spooky season you’ll be having this fall will be your skin if you skip sunscreen.

Don’t worry, you’re not alone! I know I am guilty (and tons of others!) of not wearing sunscreen unless I know I’ll be out in the sun, but only wearing it three months out of the year is leaving us susceptible to irreversible skin damage. But you may be thinking, which sunscreen should I be using? To help, I’ve compiled a list of my top three favorite face sunscreens to help you out this season! 

As a pale blonde, I have had my fair share of bad sunburns, but through buying sunscreen after sunscreen (sorry mom!) I have found my holy grails. 

1. Neutrogena Sport Face Oil-free Lotion  (SPF 70+) ($11.99)

This sunscreen is said to not clog pores and resists sweat off. It’s great for being out in the harsh sun for long periods of time and is water-resistant for 80 minutes. However, it is that classic white lotion consistency that I am not the biggest fan of. It also leaves my face feeling a bit greasy, so I only wear it when I know I won’t be wearing makeup.

2. Sun Bum Original Sunscreen Face Lotion (SPF 50) ($12.99)

Sun Bum, my first sun care love! Sun Bum has some of the best sun care products and I have used their stuff for years. This sunscreen is a must-have, especially during the summer. It is said to be breakout free, oil-free and fragrance-free. It is water-resistant for 80 minutes. It has more of a liquid-lotion consistency and even though it is white, it disappears into your skin nicely. However, it can be more on the oily side, so I prefer not to wear it under too much makeup. 

3.  Pixi Sun Mist with Chamomile and Bamboo Extracts (SPF 30) ($18)

This sun mist is my all-time favorite face sunscreen! It’s lightweight, sheer and has a non-greasy feeling. It also has a good smell, a little bit of the original sunscreen scent but mixed with chamomile! It is water-resistant for 40 minutes. It can be worn under makeup and does not have a greasy feeling.

Hopefully, these recommendations will help encourage you to not skip sunscreen in the morning, no matter the weather or time of year! 

Edited by Maura Flynn

Paige is majoring in Speech Pathology and Audiology and plans to go to Audiology school. She is a lover of all animals and an avid watcher of true crime!
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.