This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

With a new school year starting and the weather being beautiful, the nightlife in Morgantown is more alive than ever. While nights out with friends are super fun, it’s nice to have some tips to stay safe on your adventures.

(Disclaimer: This article is not promoting underage drinking nor does Her Campus at WVU condone it.)

The Buddy System

Use it. Always stay within a group when possible. By remaining close to friends you know and trust, you’ll reduce the risk of being targeted by people who could be out to take advantage. 

Whether you’re just going to the bar to get water or stepping off the dance floor to cool down, always bring a friend with you.

You can also share your location with a friend or family member by using the app Find My Friends or Life360. These apps are useful if you somehow get split from your group. You just hit a button to share your location and they’ll be able to find you.

Keep your drink with you always

The buddy system also comes in handy here. If you have to go to the bathroom but don’t want those gross germs contaminating your drink, have a friend hold it while he or she waits for you outside of the bathroom. Having your drink spiked can ruin your night and could potentially ruin your life.

Know what you’re drinking

This might apply to house parties more than it does clubs because it’s easier to make your own drink. If someone offers to make you something, go with them. 

If you’re in a club setting, you can try asking a bartender what he’s using in the drink you request, but it’ll probably be too loud for you to hear the response.

Know Your Limits & Drink Responsibly

Always stay in control when drinking alcohol. Know your limits and don’t push them. While a few more drinks may seem harmless at the moment, it’s more than likely a bad idea. Use an Uber, Lyft or taxi to get home

If there is not a designated driver in your group, plan on using an Uber, Lyft or taxi. Sometimes Ubers and Lyfts seem safer because you can track the vehicle on the app and look at the driver’s profile. When getting into your Uber or Lyft, make sure you ask the driver what his or her name is and ask who he or she is there for. 

If you’re more comfortable taking a taxi, that’s totally fine too. No matter what mode of transportation you decide on, you should check in with a friend or family member and let them know when you’ve left and what time you get home.

WVU actually offers an app you can download on your phone called LiveSafe. Through the app, you can chat with security about suspicious or dangerous situations you notice on campus and share your location with friends.

Now go conquer your night out on the town, but remember to do so safely!

Kenzie is a senior at West Virginia University from Tornado, West Virginia. She is majoring in advertising and minoring in Appalachian studies and interactive design for media. In addition to being a writer for Her Campus at WVU, she works as a ticketing and marketing intern for the university's Arts and Entertainment department. She also works as a hospitality and tourism intern for Visit Mountaineer Country Convention and Visitors Bureau. Kenzie loves coffee, candles and all things Harry Potter!
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.