Social Media Helps Students Find Halloween Costume Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Halloween in Morgantown is West Virginia University students’ favorite holiday after St. Patrick’s Day. The students turn the one night celebration into a weeklong of events. But this year Morgantown will be filled with creative and new costumes. Thanks to social media sights like Pinterest and Instagram girls and guys are coming up with all new ideas for costumes. By just hash-tagging the word “Halloween” in the explore tool on Instagram, ideas pop up for recipes to bake cupcakes to costumes people have worn in the past. It is just as easy on Pinterest. The sights are giving ideas for couples like being a coca-cola can and the coca-cola polar bear, group costumes like Taco Bell sauces, to turning yourself into a mermaid. Senior Colleen Rees says her friends have been creating their costume since September. “We found an idea on Pinterest to dress up as the holidays.” She continues saying they aren’t copying the exact outfits of the girls in the pictures, but have been using it as an idea to base theirs around. Not only are girls using the sights to find ideas, but so are the guys. Derek Dornes a Senior at WVU said him and his girlfriend have been browsing Pinterest to find funny couples’ costumes. “All of the costumes in the stores are played-out, we want something that is going to stand out and be funny.” Social Media is giving us a way to create our own costumes and be creative about it. No one likes to be walking around in the same costume as a friend and everyone knows how difficult it is to search The Halloween Store in the Morgantown Mall. If you’re looking for a costume last minute or planning something with your best friends definitely browse through these sights and make something of your own!

Tori is a senior at West Virginia University. She majors in Advertising and aspires to work in a big advertising agency after graduation. Tori was both Social Chair and Public Relations Chair for her sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma. She enjoys being involved in different organizations at WVU. Originally from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Tori was born and raised a Mountaineer. She loves to hang out with friends and be social. Tori would describe herself as outgoing, passionate, and motivated.