nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Single And Loving It (You Can Do It Too)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

With Valentine’s Day coming up, I’m sure that many of us are wondering what we’re going to do while our couple-friends are out on their romantic dates. At this point in your life, you’re probably feeling like you need a significant other to feel complete, but that is not the case. This is the time to explore who you are, find yourself and be open to all of the new opportunities that come your way. So instead of feeling bad whenever you see a couple out and about, here is how you can be single and love it.

Spend time with your girlfriends

Who are the people who make you feel your happiest? Who can you be completely yourself around? Take this time to really enjoy the blessing that is friends, because they are always there for you. Whether it’s a girls night out or chilling with Netflix and popcorn, being around your girls will always help you to forget about finding an S.O. Plus, going on a date with your friends is always fun! You can dress up and feel the self-love that you deserve.

Take some you time

Who knows when you’ll get this wonderful time to yourself again? Take this opportunity to travel and explore all of the places that you’ve always wanted to see. Treat yourself, you deserve to be spoiled, and this is the time for you to grow into the person you want to be. You can discover new hobbies, take up an instrument or go to some festivals. Whatever it is that you think of when you hear “you time,” you deserve it.

Love yourself

Before anyone else can love you, you have to love yourself. This is something that everyone needs to do because you deserve to always be happy! Whether it’s a physical trait, a character trait, or something you’ve accomplished, love yourself and love what you can do! You are beautiful through and through and you should never settle for anything that makes you feel less. So understand what you deserve, aim high and know that you are your own queen. Love all of your quirks and silliness, and know that you are one intelligent babe.

Be Thankful

I know that there will be times that you wish you were with someone, but just remember that if you were in a relationship, you wouldn’t have the free time and time with your girls that you have now. So don’t focus on what you don’t have, focus on what you do have. When the time is right a relationship will find you, but for now, you are able to enjoy all of the little moments that life has to offer. Every day write down something that you are thankful for, and you will find yourself feeling so optimistic. As awful as the world may seem sometimes, there are way more good things than bad. View the world through a different lens, and maybe you’ll learn more about not just your surroundings, but also yourself.

Madelyn is a freshman at West Virginia University majoring in Dental Hygiene. She is from Charlottesville, Virginia and enjoys art, the outdoors and cheering on her favorite teams.