Article Graphic. Made With Canva
Article Graphic. Made With Canva
Design by Lani Beaudette / Canva
Style > Beauty

Sephora’s Interactive Tools Are An Online Shopping Game Changer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Ever since COVID-19 stopped the world in March, nothing has been the same— especially when it comes to shopping for beauty products. For months, stores were shut down, forcing people to shop for products online, which can be extremely challenging. Even now, not all stores have fully opened, and the ones that are open have completely changed the way their customers shop for products. Testers are a thing of the past and in-store shade matching for foundation no longer exists. Obviously, taking precautions and limiting contact is necessary in order to stop the spread of COVID-19, but this means that people are faced with new challenges when shopping for their next favorite beauty product. However, Sephora is changing the online shopping game by offering features on their website that makes shopping for beauty products during the pandemic easier. 

black makeup brush set
Manu Camargo/Unsplash

One of the biggest challenges associated with the new way of shopping is trying to pick a new foundation. Shopping for foundation was already challenging for many people pre-coronavirus, but the end of in-store shade matching presents an even greater challenge. 

For many people, finding the right shade of foundation for their skin tone can be challenging because of the enormous variety between brands. One way to combat this challenge is the Sephora Shade Finder feature. This feature of the Sephora website allows customers to find the right shade of foundation by comparing it to another shade from a brand they already own. With just a few clicks, you can have a new foundation shade matched for you without ever having to leave your house! Of course, it is likely that this feature isn’t 100% accurate for every person, but it is a good alternative to just guessing a shade on the brand’s website. 

Another challenge of not being able to shop for beauty products in person is that it is way harder to find new products when you’re just shopping online. Many people like being able to browse in-store and see products in real life before they decide to purchase them. Although many stores have reopened, testers are no longer available. Furthermore, many people are still choosing to stay at home, which can make finding products more difficult for them. 

Another feature of the Sephora website called Skincare Routine Builder allows you to build a new lineup of skin care by just taking a quiz. The quiz asks questions about your skin type, skin concerns, age range, etc., and then gives you product recommendations for each step of your skincare routine. This is a great way to find new products or just change up your routine.

This new way of shopping for beauty products is likely to be around for a long time. Shopping for products was stressful and challenging for many pre-coronavirus, and the new normal is presenting new challenges. With these changes being necessary in order to stop the spread of COVID-19, hopefully these two features on the Sephora website will make your shopping experience a little less stressful! 

Cheyenne Oakes is a junior at West Virginia University, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Political Science and Women and Gender Studies.
Kasey is a senior at West Virginia University from Elkton, Maryland. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Strategic Social Media, Sport Communications and Fashion Merchandising. She loves writing, being outdoors, listening to music and going to concerts. Most importantly, she is an avid Katy Perry fan. In the future, she hopes to do PR for a sports team.