mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Samantha Smith Describes Her Experience at the 2019 Women’s March

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The Women’s March is an amazing way for women of all backgrounds to come together and march for what they believe in, as one. We interviewed Samantha Smith about her experience attending this year’s march, and here’s what she had to say.

HC: Where was the Women’s March held and who did you choose to go with?

The Women’s March I attended was in Washington D.C. and I went with my close friends.

HC: What led you to attend the march?

I’m a firm believer in the notion of “power in numbers”. I remember two years ago when I attended they had to shorten the route of the march because half a million women showed up to D.C. I’ll never forget– it was the day after Trump’s inauguration, so people made it a point to show up. It felt so fulfilling to be a part of one of the largest political rallies in D.C. history. The more women that show up, the more attention it gets. That’s why I make it a point to attend and I always encourage others to attend as well.

HC: When did you become passionate about supporting women’s rights?

I have always been passionate about women’s rights but I think the 2016 election is what catalyzed my desire to act on it. There are so many misconceptions in our politics and our education system, so I believe it’s more effective to go out to events like the women’s march and take an entire day to just listen and learn. The Women’s March has so many real women who share their stories with no political or ulterior motives, so it enlightens others in a more authentic way.

HC: Was there anything specifically that you witnessed that you find interesting?

Something that I’ve seen on several occasions that always stands out to me is seeing fathers alone with their daughters at the women’s march. It’s touching and empowering to see fathers and men raising the next generation of women confidently.

HC: Reflect on your experience, do you feel any different as a result of going to the march?

Every march or event like this I attend has its own unique after-effect. With the women’s march, I always feel like I gain such an important new perspective on all the work we still have to do. It’s so easy to get comfortable within the norms we’re used to, but this event is a reminder that even though we’ve made great strides in equality, we still have minority groups experiencing oppression in social and even professional situations. I hear a lot of backlash to marches and protests mainly arguing that it “does nothing” and “makes no real change”. It’s hard to dispute that because of course, that’s right; marching does nothing in itself to actively change laws or political leaders. The most important effect of marching, however, is that it starts the conversation and it gets people thinking. Our main responsibility is to continue that activism following these events. This means making phone calls to your representatives, continue these conversations, and most importantly: vote.

Alexa is a junior at West Virginia University, studying honors public relations with a minor in Spanish and strategic social media. She is an editor and YouTube director for Her Campus WVU. Alexa entertains herself with funny YouTube videos, travel, and Netflix binge-watching. Her post-graduation plans haven't been mapped out quite yet, but she hopes to do something that will keep her creativity flowing.
Her Campus at West Virginia University