Rejected & Moving On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

He is 20 years old, but dumps you over a text message. Clearly, he’s too immature to say it to your face. You two have been hanging out for a while and out of nowhere he drops off the face of the earth, avoiding you as if you don’t exist. Apparently beer and video games make him too “busy” to spend the night with you. Or even better, he became too “attached”. STFU before you get smacked boy! We know you want to get with another girl; don’t try and fool us. Why do we get so upset over these idiots? Any guy who can’t man up and end things respectfully is not worth our thoughts or time.

So how do we react when things like this happen? We want to b**** him out, call him until we get answers, talk smack about him, and make him jealous with another guy. Well, that might feel really rewarding in the moment, but why give him the satisfaction of knowing you still want him? Let’s move on.

Being rejected is hurtful. Get your best friend, and let it all out – even a get a good cry if necessary. Talking to someone will help get your feelings off your chest and him out of your mind. After all the tears and yells and you have settled down, it is time to concentrate on yourself and making yourself better.

Begin to embrace your beautiful, independent self. Take your newly single time to re-evaluate what you can accomplish. This is your time to take on a new you. Hit the gym, get a new haircut, or do some retail therapy! Now you can thank that jerk for your chic new style and determination to be better. It’s time to make new unforgettable memories with your friends, take a weekend trip somewhere with the people who matter most. Now that the boy let you go, it’s time to go and do whatever it is you want!

There is no better revenge than showing a guy how much happier, more confident , and successful you are with him out of the picture. While you are busy flaunting your wonderful and gorgeous self, another guy will come around. This time he will completely adore you, thinking you hang the moon. And, that a** that made you cry a few months ago can eat his hear out; he doesn’t deserve you and will never have you again. The best part of breaking up is finding someone you can’t get enough of. As The Maine song goes…”girls do what they want, boys do what they can.”

Devin is a sophomore at West Virginia University, class of 2013. She was a direct-admit into the School of Journalism as a freshman, where she is now majoring in Public Relations with two minors in Political Science and Professional Writing & Editing. Devin started her journalism career in Fairmont, WV. In high school, she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 Maple Leaves Yearbook, which went on to receive a Silver Medal in the Columbia Scholastic Program of Achievement. She was a columnist for her local newspaper, The Times West Virginian, for two years. During her senior year in high school, Devin was a columnist for a national magazine, Gladys, where she went on to become the Public Relations Manager. At WVU, Devin is a member of Chi Omega Sorority. In her spare time, Devin enjoys drinking skinny vanilla lattes, watching Saturday Night Live (re-runs, of course, because she is never home on a Saturday night), and buying cocktail dresses. When she grows up, Devin wants to be a lawyer.