Pros And Cons Of Being Single In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

We all have that one friend that’s always in a relationship that we sometimes envy, but let’s be real, they’re actually the one that’s envious of you not being suffocated by a S.O. 24/7. College is supposed to be the best four years of your life, but does having a significant other add or take-away the happiness of college? Here are some pros and cons to help you decide:

Pros

1. You can do what you want when you want. You don’t have to report to anyone about what you’re doing or who your with. If you want to stay at the bar until 3 a.m. and hook up with a rando, who’s going to stop you?

2. You don’t have to impress anyone. When you’re in a relationship (especially in the beginning) you always feel the need to wear makeup and dress nice when you’re with your significant other. But, when you’re single, you don’t need to wash your hair for three days if you don’t want to, and who the hell cares if you don’t wear a bra?

3. You can hangout with as many boys as you want to. Being single means you can text and go out with your guy friends whenever you want to with no questions asked. If you want to whore it up and ride around the block a few times, there is nothing holding you back. You do you, girl.

4. There is no “his” side of the bed because the whole damn thing is yours. That’s right. You get the whole bed to yourself. You don’t have to worry about kicking your S.O. in the middle of the night, or worrying if they have enough room forcing you to spoon with the wall all night. Hell, you could sleep sideways if you wanted to. 

5. You don’t have the extra stress of a relationship. Let’s be real. Relationships are a lot of work. It’s added work and stress on top of all the work and stress you already have from classes and all the other shit that college comes with. When your in a relationship, sometimes the stress becomes too much and you forget about all the other things in your life.

Cons

1. You don’t have anyone to snuggle with on a regular basis. Have you ever just wanted to be cuddled all night and have your back rubbed? Significant others are literally made for this, but when you don’t have one, it’s kinda hard to snuggle alone.

2. There is no one to buy you dinner. You don’t have anyone to take you out to a nice dinner, open the car door for you, buy you flowers, or treat you like a princess for a day. It sounds cliché, but every girl longs for this at some point.

3. You don’t have anyone to comfort you. When you’re sad or upset, your S.O. is the perfect shoulder to cry on and someone that understands you. Your roommates just aren’t the same.

4. There’s no one to do the manly work around the house. Who’s going to kill the spider in your room? Who’s going to shovel your car out of the snow? Who’s going to change your burned out light bulb? Need I say more?

5. You’re family will continue to ask you if you’re in a relationship. Holidays and family gatherings will stay the same: still awkward. Your Aunt Mary will still try to set you up with her co-worker Jenny’s husband’s cousin’s son. How lucky are you?

Hey, everyone! I'm Jamie. I'm a Senior Strategic Communications major with Emphasis in Public Relations. I'm a Pittsburgh native, and after graduation I hope to pursue my passion in Public Relations and writing!
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.