This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Awards season is finally here, and if you’re anything like me, it helps you through the first few uneventful months of the year. From the groundbreaking films and red carpet fashion to the controversies that always find a platform, it is a very exciting time in the media.

The Academy Awards, otherwise known as the Oscars, is the biggest event of award season. However, it is essential to make sure that you are living out award season to its full potential. Even if you aren’t into movies or award shows, you might find yourself missing out on the Oscar memes and drama on social media.

Award shows are always more fun to watch when you have your own opinion of which actor, actress, film or director deserves to win. Unfortunately, you may not have gotten around to watching the films that are nominated this year.

If you think it’s too late for you, think again. Here are the most important movies to watch to get yourself caught up to speed.

Black Panther

“Black Panther” is a superhero film based off of the Marvel Comics. In this star-studded film, a young king must bring his allies together to defeat their enemy and save the world. Black Panther is the second highest-grossing film of 2018, as well as the first superhero movie to earn a Golden Globe nomination for Best Picture.

BlacKkKlansman

In the film “BlacKkKlansman”, Ron Stallworth becomes the first African American in the Colorado Springs Police Department. He sets out to investigate the local chapter of the Ku Klux Klan. With the help of a Jewish recruiting officer, they team up to take down the hateful organization.

Bohemian Rhapsody

“Bohemian Rhapsody” tells the story of the band, Queen, and how they came to be. The film depicts Freddie Mercury’s life and his journey to stardom, along with his personal struggles.

The Favourite

“The Favourite”, starring Academy Award Winner, Emma Stone, is set in early 18th century England. Queen Anne is growing sick and Lady Sarah takes the reins for her during the war with France. When Sarah’s cousin arrives, the Queen is drawn to her, which creates tension between the two cousins.

Green Book

In “Green Book”, Mahershala Ali portrays a renowned African American pianist who takes his talents into the Deep South for a concert tour in 1962. He hires an Italian-American bouncer to be his driver and protect him from the troubles he knows he will encounter in the South. The unlikely pair form an undeniable friendship in the face of racism and danger.

If Beale Street Could Talk

The romantic drama, “If Beale Street Could Talk”, tells the story of an African American couple in the early 1970s. Tish and Fonny had been friends since childhood. Later in their adult lives, they developed a romantic relationship. After moving in together in New York City,  their lives are flipped upside down when Fonny is arrested for a crime he didn’t commit.

Roma

“Roma”, set in the early 1970s, depicts the life of Cleo, a live-in housekeeper of a middle-class family in Mexico. The film follows Cleo’s journey of taking on the responsibility of raising four children while enduring the political turmoil of the 1970s.

A Star Is Born

Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga star in this film that portrays the relationship between a rockstar and a struggling singer. “A Star Is Born” has received eight Oscar nominations and is said to be one of the top films to beat this year.

Vice

Christian Bale makes the remarkable transformation into Dick Cheney in the movie, “Vice”. The biographical film follows Cheney’s journey to become George W. Bush’s vice president. This film took the crown for the most Golden Globe nominations with a total of six.

The Oscars will take place on Feb. 24 at 8 p.m., so there is still a lot of time to watch the nominated films.

Kasey is a senior at West Virginia University from Elkton, Maryland. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Strategic Social Media, Sport Communications and Fashion Merchandising. She loves writing, being outdoors, listening to music and going to concerts. Most importantly, she is an avid Katy Perry fan. In the future, she hopes to do PR for a sports team.
Her Campus at West Virginia University