Picking A Major If You Are Still Undecided

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

If you came into college undecided or aren’t truly passionate about your major and you’re considering a switch, you’re not alone. Approximately 75% of students change their major at least once while in college. Making such an important decision can be a difficult and stressful task, but it doesn’t have to be. Whether switching a major or picking for the first time, there are a ton of factors to consider. 

When deciding your major, you have to know yourself. The first year of college is all about exploration and finding yourself, so go out on a limb. Try classes you’ve never had the opportunity to take before, WVU currently offers 536 majors, minors and certifications, so there are literally hundreds of classes to choose from. If there are clubs that you’ve always wanted to try but were too afraid of, now’s your chance to experiment. By opening yourself to new opportunities, such as clubs and classes outside your comfort zone, you’re likely to find some undiscovered passions. and make new friends with similar interests along the way. After figuring out what you’re passionate about and what skill set you possess, you can start carving out what majors would be a good fit. You can’t solely pick your major because there is guaranteed job security, or because it’s in a high paying field. If you’re not passionate about what your studying, college is going to suck. Your classes will bore you and may even be difficult to pass. And although you may have an interest in a field, if you don’t have a particular skill set, it may not be for you.  For instance, you may be interested in helping others and you think nursing would be a great way to do so. If you’re not great at science or math, you’re going to struggle. Instead of nursing being the field you want to pursue, find other professions where you can help others like teaching, psychology or social work. 

After assessing your skillset and interests, reach out to others! Talk to your family, friends, peers and advisor about majors that interest you. Get your family and friends opinions on whether or not they can see you pursuing a particular profession. Ultimately, the decision is yours, but getting input from the people that may know you better than you know yourself can be a big help! Also, talk to your advisor about your options and the different majors your school offers. Your advisor can show you what the rest of your classes in college would look like, let you know if you can graduate “on time” and can refer you to different job shadowing programs. Advisors are great resources on campus, and most students don’t take advantage of them. Lastly, talking to other students in majors you’re interested in can be extremely helpful in your decision-making process. These students can inform you about what the classes are like, tell you their career plans, and share their experience in their field. 

In a nutshell, you must: 

1. Know yourself: Get to know what you’re passionate about, what interests you and what you’re good at by joining clubs and taking classes that peak your interests.

2. Narrow it down: Start picking a major based on your passions and skills. 

3. Get talking: Talk to your loved ones, peers and advisors about majors you’re interested in. 

I’m a senior at WVU majoring in marketing with an AOE in digital promotions. I am also an Apple Campus Representative and work for a media team on campus, where we promote health and wellness. I love to binge Netflix, eat all foods and I’m huge True Crime buff.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.