Pantone's Color of The Year: Living Coral

Yes, 2019 has its own color, and it is nothing short of vibrant. 

Pantone announced its 2019 pick for color of the year: Pantone 16-1546. The shade is also known as Living Coral, a soft hue that falls somewhere between pink and orange. 

Pantone’s choices are not made simply by what seems the prettiest or trendy at the time; there is deeper motive behind each shade. This year, the Pantone Color Institute wanted to bring attention to a color that was found in both technology and nature. The design-powerhouse’s choice is a representation of “the fusion of modern life.”According to Pantone, Living Coral is “an animating and life-affirming coral hue with a golden undertone that energizes and enlivens with a softer edge.”

The term “life-affirming” as used to describe a color seems somewhat cryptic, but maybe something life-affirming is just what this new year needs. Pantone describes Living Coral as an attempt to bring people to “authentic and immersive experiences that enable connection and intimacy.” 

A color with buoyancy, as Pantone says, leaves a fun impression. A brilliant New Year’s resolution would be to become more buoyant. The internet made it clear that 2018 was a heavy time for many. Why not take a more light-weight approach this time?

Whether you find the color aesthetically pleasing or not, what it stands for is irrefutably uplifting.

Perhaps a glimpse of Living Coral every day --like painted toenails or a coral sticky note on the wall-- could become a reminder of joy. 

How will you incorporate Pantone’s color of the year into 2019? Tweet us @HerCampusWVU