Article Graphic. Made with Canva
Article Graphic. Made with Canva
Lani Beaudette
Style > Beauty

Overwhelming Beauty Stores: Finding The Best Eyeshadow Palette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

In recent years, the makeup industry has exploded. Thanks to social media influencers from Instagram, Tik Tok and Youtube, the world of beauty has become something to idolize. However, the explosion has also meant an oversaturation of the beauty market, specifically with eyeshadow palettes. It seems as though every day we are waking up to the launch of a new palette. Makeup brands compete with another to release the best palette, in the fastest with the fairest price. With palettes ranging in different sizes, themes, prices and quality, it can be extremely hard to find a palette that is right for you. Since the launches of new palettes don’t seem to be slowing down anytime soon, here are some tips to find the best eyeshadow palette for you.

1. Find A Color-Story You’re Interested In

Every eyeshadow palette has some kind of theme or color-story. The theme of a palette could be anything from neutrals to reds and oranges to rainbow. When walking into a beauty store, the wide array of eyeshadow palettes can be overwhelming. It is helpful to first find a color story that you’re interested in buying so that you can narrow down your palette search. Before walking into a store, do some research on the theme you’re looking for. Are you on the hunt for the perfect, everyday, neutral palette? Are there specific tones you’re looking for, like pinks and purples? Or, do you want a palette that has a little bit of everything? Knowing what colors you want in a palette can help to make the overall search less daunting. 

2. Think About What Size Palette You Want

Eyeshadow palettes come in a wide variety of sizes, meaning they contain a different number of shades. When looking for a palette, it can be hard to choose how many shades you want. The size of the palette will affect the price, usually more shades will mean the palettes will cost more. If you’re looking for a palette that has a specific color story like oranges or purples, you will most likely end up buying a smaller palette. Niche color stories usually come in 9 to 12 shade palettes, while wide color stories like neutrals and rainbows can range anywhere from 9 to 40 shades.   

3. Decide on a Price You’re Willing to Spend

As mentioned above, the size of the palette you’re purchasing will most likely affect the price. However, the brand of the palette will have the biggest impact on price. Because there is such a wide market for eyeshadow palettes, brands mark prices that range from very little to very expensive. For example, a 15 shade palette from Natasha Denona costs $129, while a 39 shade palette from Morphe costs only $42. Obviously, there is an argument to be made that quality affects price. While this certainly can be true, sometimes the most expensive palette isn’t always the best palette. If you’re in the market for your first palette, don’t feel like you have to spend a fortune. 

4. Do Brand Research 

Not all eyeshadow palettes are created the same. Brands can vary widely in their ingredients, formulas and processes for making eyeshadow. It is important to do research on a brand that you’re considering buying from. This is especially important if you’re looking for a vegan-based formula, or if you may be allergic to a certain ingredient. It is required by law that palettes list their ingredients somewhere on the box, or the palette itself. This information can usually be found on the brand’s website as well. 

Although this isn’t a complete list of things to consider when buying an eyeshadow palette, these four tips can help you get a good start. There are thousands of palettes on the market, and not all are the same. The wide variety can make it overwhelming when trying to find a palette that is right for you. Beauty stores can be stressful to shop in, but hopefully, these tips can make your experience easier and more enjoyable! 

—  

Edited by Zoë Skvarka

Cheyenne Oakes is a junior at West Virginia University, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Political Science and Women and Gender Studies.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.