This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Every day it gets a little easier.

The details of your face and the sound of your laugh begins to fade from my memory. The last time I saw you still feels like it was yesterday.

That sparkle in your eyes never stops shining, but I find myself forgetting what they looked like when your face lit up with excitement.

After you left, certain songs were hard to listen to without you belting them next to me during our long sunset drives. The old restaurants we used to go to each and every weekend didn’t seem so appealing anymore.

I find myself re-reading our old messages, sometimes texting you as if you were still there to answer. I know you won’t, but I like to think that you will.

Even though you’re gone, I know you’re still with me, living life with me as you would have lived your own.

As time went on, I began to find comfort in our songs I used to skip and the restaurants I avoided.

I realized as my best friend, I need to live my life as you wanted me to; happy, carefree and proud.

As my close friend, you would want the best for me, no sadness or anything holding me back – so that’s what I’m going to do.

Even though you’re gone, I know you’re with me through every accomplishment I achieve throughout my life, and I’m forever grateful for that.

Your positive attitude always uplifted my day, even after you left. On bad days, I think about advice that you would tell me and do my best to follow it.

It’s hard not being able to talk to you every day, but as time goes by I find comfort in the things I used to avoid.

I found that it’s important to embrace every memory we’ve shared together, and turn my sadness into happiness as I reminisce on our friendship, reminding myself that I still have you with me.

I now realize that there’s no point in being sad. There’s no changing the past, there’s only the present and the future, and I know you’ll be there through it all.

Even though you’re gone, I’ve learned to cope. As my best friend, you always wanted me to be happy, and I am with you always by my side.

Cassidy is a WVU graduate with a major in Public Relations and Advertising with minors in both Marketing and Political Science. Cassidy hopes to be a successful writer or editor and is excited for what's to come.