This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Before you sign up for your online class next semester, take some of the pros and cons into consideration. I am a WVU student currently taking two online classes and I want to share my opinion to help someone who may be on the fence about deciding. 

The two classes that I am taking this semester each are set up differently. The first one, AGEE 101, is solely based on the campus website, ecampus. At times, ecampus makes my class a lot more difficult than it needs to be. When submitting assignments it is nearly impossible to know if they submit. I received a zero out of 100 on a project because the professor wasn’t able to open it. When looking back at the assignments that could be opened, there was no difference in how they were submitted, making it very difficult to prevent this from happening again. Therefore, the number one con of online classes is the untrustworthiness of the internet. Although online classes are completed in the student’s free time, I feel that these classes are more time consuming than an in-person class. Not only must the student teach themselves all of the material, but they also have to do all of the tests and assignments on their own time. Another issue is, these classes are much easier to forget about. The other online class I am taking, HN&F 171, is all on a website called MindTap. This class is set up where there are only four deadlines. Each test contains around four to five chapters, and the chapter assignments and tests are all due on the same day. Making it much easier to procrastinate and not complete everything on time. In-person classes give you a reminder of when due dates are.

Although online classes have a lot of cons, there are many pros too. Some of the cons could also be considered pros depending on what type of person you are. If you hate going to class and don’t procrastinate on assignments, online classes might better suit you. Some people prefer online classes because they are all in their own time. If you are the type of person who doesn’t go to class, then having a regular in-person class might do more harm than good. The best part about online classes is that you can’t skip them. Online classes also open up students’ schedules. The most classes I have in one day is three, and that is only once a week, giving me more time to do homework, get a job, and participate in clubs and activities. I think the biggest pro to online classes is that students have the opportunity to take them during the summer without having to stay at the university they are attending. 

To summarize, when choosing whether or not to take online classes next semester, focus on your positive and negative qualities as a student. If going to class is the hardest part of your day, register for an online class instead. If you learn best by being taught by a professor, then stick with the regular classes. 

Edited by Katie Carnefix

Victoria is an Exercise Physiology major who will graduate in 2023 from West Virgina University.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.