This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Mike Morales is a senior wrestler at West Virginia University, from Brick, NJ.  During his time at WVU, Morales has proven to be one of the best wrestlers in the Big 12 conference. Morales placed 3rd at the Big 12 championships during the 2013-14 season. Morales was named Big 12 wrestler of the week after defeating then no.17 ranked Pitt wrestler Mikey Racciato. Although beating Pitt is an honor for any Mountaineer, Morales has even bigger plans for his time on the mat this season. 

Q: How long have you been wrestling?

A: “I have been wrestling for 17 years. I wanted to do something that my brother wasn’t doing and my dad wrestled.” 

Q: Why did you come to WVU?

A: “I came to WVU because I thought the coaching staff was going to be good with Greg Jones and Danny Felix, as part of the staff. And I liked the facilities. It was also the perfect distance from home.”

Q: What’s your favorite food?

A: “I’m going to say Pork roll egg and cheese. I know it’s like a Jersey thing. And I love breakfast at any time. I love breakfast food.”

Q: What’s your goal in wrestling?

A: “I’m going to say leave here an All-American. It’s just been a goal of mine, probably since I started wrestling. It means to be one of the best of the country. Top eighth to be exact.”

Q: How do you like having Sammie Henson as a new wrestling coach this year?

A: “I love him.  Just how crazy he is and he knows how to train people. He’s honest. He’s mean but I love it.”

Q: Is it hard being a student athlete?

A: “Sometimes it is. I have to stay focused on wrestling 100 percent during the season and that affects a social life. The biggest part of wrestling is the prepping up until the match so I know I need to take care of myself.” 

Q: What’s your goal in life?

A: “My goal in life is to continue to be a part of the wrestling community and coach. I would like to be a part of the staff at WVU now.”

Q: What do you like to do in your free time?

A: “Hang out with my dog.”