Meet The Spring 2016 WVU News Anchors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

WVU News is an award winning student run newscast! This spring was super competitive when it came to news anchor tryouts but only two people could get the final title of a WVU News Anchor.

Brooke Chaplain is a 21-year-old Television Journalism major from Virginia Beach, Virginia. She has been chosen as a Spring 2016 WVU News anchor. Brooke decided to put her love of writing to good use and study journalism here at WVU. She loves to hear people’s stories and have the chance to tell those stories in front of the camera.

Finding out she’d be sitting behind the news desk this Spring left Brooke feeling shocked and excited, “I was so excited, just super blessed. My mom and I chatted like little girls on the phone and it was just awesome to get to share that with her.”

Fitting into the role didn’t come easy but with time, and a few shows under her belt, Brooke has grown more comfortable being in the spotlight, “The more we go through it, the more fun it is for me and I’m really starting to enjoy the role. I feel like I’ve really adapted and become more versatile than before.”

Brooke will graduate in December 2016 and go on to pursue her dreams of working for a major sports network.

Twitter: @BrookeWVUNews

Keith Willis is a 23-year-old Television Journalism major with a minor in Sports Communication from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was also chosen to be a Spring 2016 WVU News anchor. Keith has been interest in journalism since high school, where he had the chance to participate in a sports show his school produced, “It was so fun and I love sports, if I could combine the two, I wouldn’t even consider myself working.”

Coming into WVU News, Keith felt nervous about auditioning to be a main anchor and never expected to get the top spot. Celebrating with his friends and family, Keith is growing more confident as the semester continues, “Now I’m a little bit more comfortable. We’re ending out February and as I practice the script more and get more comfortable with the lights and cameras, I feel like I’ve gotten a lot better since the beginning of the semester.”

Keith is hoping to continue on with his love of journalism, using all the tools he’s learned in WVU News, after he graduates in December 2016.

To see these guys in action, check out the College of Media’s student produced Emmy award-winning newscast at: http://mediacollegenewscast.wvu.edu

Twitter: @KWillisWVUNews

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.