Style

Meet Shannon Paul: Smart Style by Shannon Paul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

HC: What is Smart Style by Shannon Paul?

SP: Smart Style by Shannon Paul is a boutique lifestyle service business offering floral design, interior design and wardrobe styling services.

HC: What made you want to start your business?

SP: My business initially began as a floral design business. Being an avid fresh floral lover (I have always loved having fresh flowers in my home) I saw a need in my area for modern and chic floral options.

HC: What are your goals with your business?

SP: My goal is to ultimately have a line of lifestyle products to include home decor items and fashion accessories!

HC: What has been your favorite project since starting your business?

SP: Not my favorite project but I do have a favorite family that I been fortunate enough to be able to work with. Between the mother and her two daughters I have done the florals and design for the older daughter’s wedding, styled and designed the business space for the other daughter, styled their wardrobes as well as helping them design their home living spaces.  These clients are truly my dream clients!!

HC: What is your advice to anyone who is thinking about starting their own business?

SP: Celebrate each and every victory no matter how small.  Starting and running a business takes a lot of hard work, determination and patience so take the time to enjoy the good moments.

HC: What has been the best thing from this, and what has been the worst?

SP: The best and worst thing has been learning how to hear the word “No”.  Obviously being told no is not a great feeling however I have learned when I am told “No” to work even harder so that no turns into a YES.

HC: What services if any do you offer that cater to college students?

SP: I offer a wardrobe styling service exclusively for students! This service keeps budget in mind as I style pieces and accessories that you already own.

Jaylin McManus is a senior at WVU studying marketing.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.