Meet Pam Pritt, HC’s Media Workshop Guest Speaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Pam Pritt, the senior editor at University Relations, details her career and a few of the tips she will share in this week’s media workshop, hosted by Her Campus at WVU. Join us this Thursday, Jan. 24 at 6:30 p.m. in the Downtown Library Classroom 2036.

HC: What do you do at University Relations? What does your day-to-day routine look like?

PP: I’m the senior editor in University Relations. My days are filled with editing what other people write and make sure that WVUToday and E-News are up-to-date. I’m also a research writer and interview WVU professors about their work.

HC: How did you end up at WVU? What did you do before?

PP: The road to Morgantown was long for me and included a stint as a weekly newspaper owner/editor/CFO, a brief time at a domestic violence prevention non-profit and a three-year gig at one of the state’s largest daily newspapers covering the statehouse, politics and economic development. I was fortunate to get a heads up about the job I have, so I applied for it.

HC: What is your advice to students hoping to become editors in their future?

PP: Read the news. Find news writers you like and know there’s a good editor behind them. Pay attention to style changes and new words and phrases. Edit every story like it’s 1A above the fold.

HC: What is your favorite story you’ve worked on?

PP: I have several favorites, but one that truly stands was a feature about the seven firefighters at Alderson Women’s Prison. All of them had compelling stories to tell about why they were imprisoned, but also were upbeat about what they’d accomplished to become firefighters, which included all the training every firefighter completes. For hard news stories, I liked covering court because I always learned something new about forensic science or the law.

HC: What do you hope students will learn from the writing workshop?

PP: I hope that young journalists understand that their work is more important now than ever. Only the truth defeats allegations of “fake news.” And the only way to report the truth is to do the hard work of research and nailing down every detail of a story.

HC: What is your number one advice for people wanting to improve their editing techniques?

PP: Read it aloud. If you read it out loud and you stumble, so will readers of your publication.

HC: Outside of work, what are your favorite hobbies or activities?

PP: I like hiking and genealogy. I’m from West Virginia, so often the two things combine nicely. I also read a lot.

Kristen completed her undergraduate degree in journalism at West Virginia University in May 2019. She is currently pursuing her master's degree in the Integrated Marketing Communications program at WVU. During undergrad, she was the managing editor of Her Campus at WVU and editor-in-chief of Mirage Magazine in the 2018-2019 year. Kristen is currently the student editor at 100 Days in Appalachia and a freelance writer for West Virginia-based publications. Previously, she has served as the communications and marketing intern for the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, a writing and editing intern for New South Media and a photographer for the Daily Athenaeum. She is an avid fan of alt-rock, photography and advocating for women's equality and the prevalence of solutions journalism. Kristen hopes to one day report on internet culture and technology. 
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.