Meet Levi Huff: Executive Director of MountaineerTHON

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Meet Levi Huff! He is a sophomore at WVU majoring in Human Resources Management from Hollidaysburg, PA. Huff is also currently the executive director of MountaineerTHON, an 8-hour dance marathon held at WVU.

Q: What exactly is MountaineerTHON, and how long has it been going on at WVU?

A: MountaineerThon was actually started in 1999 through the WVU School of Medicine as the WVU Dance Marathon. We were a small program and rebranded our organization as MountaineerThon in 2015 in hopes of taking things campus-wide. The goal of our organization is to raise funds and awareness for our local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, WVU Medicine Children’s. We are a year-long student-run movement who hosts many events throughout each semester to raise awareness, but our biggest event usually occurs in March which is our Dance Marathon.

Q:  Being an executive director is a pretty big deal. How did you end up becoming so involved in with this event?

A: I had the opportunity to apply and interview for a position on the Executive Board during my freshman year which was truly an amazing experience. Coming from near State College, PA (The Home of THON), the Dance Marathon culture has been something I grew up around my entire life, so when I came to WVU, I knew that I wanted to get involved in something similar on campus and was so happy to hear that we had a Dance Marathon program here!

Q:  How does it make you feel knowing you make such a positive impact on these kids?

A: Especially since 100% of the funds that we raise stay right here at WVU Medicine Children’s, it means the world to me to see the difference that this organization is making every day. To be able to say that a group of college students were able to make a difference in the lives of thousands of kids being treated right here in WV fills me with pride and a desire to continue to work hard, For The Kids!

Q: What are you doing differently for this year’s MountaineerTHON that you haven’t done before?

A: One of the biggest things that is different about our organization this year is the fact that we went from having an Executive Board of only 8 people last year to now having almost 50 people dedicated to spreading our mission and making sure this year and the future of our organization is bright. We are so excited for all that is in store at this year’s event.

Q: How can other WVU students help or become more involved?

A: We are always looking for students to join the movement and use their talents to help us make an impact in the lives of local kids! Throughout the spring semester we recruit people for various executive board positions and committee positions where students can gain real-world skills through helping our non-profit grow! We also love to see students from all organizations and walks of life to join our organization as a dancer to help us raise funds and awareness for our local hospital. Check out our website at www.mountaineerthon.com for more information on how you can get involved.

You can also follow MountaineerTHON on social media! Twitter: @wvuDM Instagram: @mountaineerthon Facebook: MountaineerThon 

Carly is a senior journalism major in the Reed College of Media with a minor in sports communication. In addition to being a writer for Her Campus, Carly is also a news reporter for WVU's The Daily Atheneum. Originally from Bucks County, Pa., Carly is a huge Philadelphia sports fan. Some of her favorite hobbies include petting dogs, drinking wine and going to concerts. 
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!