Meet Homecoming Queen Candidate, Linden Nelson!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Meet Linden Nelson, this week’s Cempus Celebrity and 2013 Homecoming Queen Candidate. Linden is a 22-year-old WVU student from Wheeling, West Virginia. She is currently in her second year at the School of Pharmacy. When she’s not hitting the books you can find Linden running, online shopping or supporting her fellow Mountaineers at WVU football games. It’s never been a question to Linden where she would wind up going to college. WVU is something she grew up with and the place where she belongs. 

Linden chose to run for Homecoming Queen to be a role model to her fellow WVU students. She is a both a well-rounded person and student as she is involved in academics, Greek life, Mountaineer Maniacs and community service. Because of this, Linden has been able to meet and relate to many students from all over campus. She also told me that she especially wants each and every student to see that there isn’t anything they cannot do at this university. 

What is a true Mountaineer to Linden? “A true Mountaineer is someone who knows the pride behind the flying WV. It represents the character and pride we have as not only a university but as a state too. To me, when you wear that flying WV, you represent all the great things associated with this school.”

Linden isn’t the only one on court who bleeds gold and blue. However, there are other factors that distinguish her from the other women on court. “I am not defined by my Greek letters or white pharmacy coat but am rather a little piece of everything this campus has to offer. My out-going personality also makes me feel as though any student on this campus can approach me and feel as though they have made a friend.” Linden also prides herself in her ability to have been able to become very involved while at WVU, she did not want to waste any time.

Linden is an active member of Alpha Phi and various Pharmacy clubs. She also spends a lot of her spare time volunteering at the Village Nursing Home and also helps with health screenings on the Health Sciences campus. 

I asked Linden a few other questions as well:

• What has been your most memorable moment at WVU? – Linden followed our team to Miami, Florida for the Orange Bowl. “I grew up watching football, so to be able to root for my team and watch one of the greatest upsets in WVU sports history is something I will never be able to forget.”
  • Fun fact? – She has never met another girl named Linden!
  • Who is your role model and why? – Linden’s sister, Natalie. “She has been there to help me through everything at WVU and I can’t thank her enough.” Linden refers to Natalie as a role model, sister and best friend.