Meet Freshman Cheerleader, Merideth McClain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Meet Merideth McClain, a freshman at West Virginia University and a member of the cheerleading team. Merideth is quite possibly one of the sweetest girls you will ever encounter on campus, so if you see her say hi! I can guarantee she will give you a huge smile and start a conversation. I had the opportunity to interview Merideth and talk about her time so far as a WVU cheerleader.

Q: How long have you been cheering?

A: I have been cheering for 6 years now including this year.

Q: When did you know you wanted to cheer for WVU? Have you always wanted to go to WVU?

A: I knew I wanted to cheer for WVU after growing up watching all of the WVU sporting events. I made the decision to try out for WVU’s team my senior year of high school after I visited the university.

Q: What was the process for getting on the team?

A: You have to attend tryouts and show your tumbling, coed stunting, dancing       and sideline cheer skills. Some are then chosen to move onto day 2 where you must also prove again that you can “partner stunt” and have the energy the coaches are looking for to represent the Mountaineers

Q: What’s your major? Are you involved in any clubs?

A: My major is Music Therapy. I am not involved in any clubs but I am a member of the WVU women’s ensemble. 

Q: What is your favorite aspect about being a WVU cheerleader?

A: I absolutely love WVU sports so I think that the best part about being a WVU cheerleader is getting to watch all of the exciting action of the sports while representing the Mountaineers the best way I possibly can. I love being a part of the Mountaineer tradition.

Q:  What’s your advice for any freshman?

A: My advice for any freshman would be to get involved, make new friends and just have fun! This university is full of so many great people and wonderful opportunities that are out there for everyone. 

I'm Chelsea, and I attend West Virginia University! I plan to major in strategic communications with an emphasis in public relations. I'm a lover of dogs, books, food, and Netflix. “In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." - Albert Camus
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!