The Man In The Mountaineer Suit, Michael Garcia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

You’re on campus and you see a man walk by in buckskins carrying a rifle…. What!? You’ve run into our Mountaineer Mascot, Michael Garcia! Michael is a first year grad student studying for his masters in public administration and he is from Fairmont, West Virginia. This is his second year carrying on the mascot tradition, truly becoming a part of who he is on West Virginia University’s campus. Whether you hear him screaming “Let’s Go Mountaineers” at a football game or you see him casually walking to class, Michael will always stop to say hello. Meet Michael! (and yes, his beard is real!)

Q: When did your journey begin as you decided to become the Mountaineer?

A:  My journey began with my parents giving made every opportunity to try anything I wanted. I never felt like something was out of reach.  As a sophomore, I decided that I wanted to be the Mountaineer and by the time I was a senior, I reached that goal.

Q: What drove you to try out for the Mountaineer position?

A:  I was driven to be the Mountaineer because I felt that I had energy top bring to the position and a vision for the Mountaineer as a genuine figure in the community as well as during athletic events.

Q: You’re a huge icon for the state of West Virginia. How does it feel?

A: It feels like a lot of pressure to be an icon for West Virginia.  There is so much good in this state that I am trying to represent and I never want to fall short of that.

Q: What do you feel like it means to be a Mountaineer?

A: To me, the Mountaineer means becoming a better, more value oriented person every day. Its not enough to just be content with how far I have come. I am not truly a Mountaineer unless I continue improving on myself.

Q: Lastly, what is your favorite part about being the Mountaineer? How has it shaped your present day life?

A:  My favorite part about being the Mountaineer is the people I’ve met. It has changed my life into something I never expected. I feel empowered to lead by example and make the most of my time here at WVU. I intend to make the most of my time left as the Mountaineer and I am not thinking past my last day in the buckskins.

Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.