This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, a person that lives off campus, then you already know the reality that it is difficult to make friends. I’ve done my fair share of talking to classmates and that only gets you so far. No one is willing to invite you to hang out and when you go and extend an invite, people say yes and then make it painfully impossible to try and meet up. I’m sure this applies to on campus friendships as well. So if you’re lonely or just need new people to associate yourself with, continue to read on.

Morgan ReVeal is a commuter assistant that organizes events specially for students who live off campus. ReVeal sends out a weekly email list informing recipients of upcoming events. Going to these events will give you the chance to be able to meet others like yourself. If you are bored between classes or just have extra time on your hands, the WVU Commuter STudent Program also has the commuter lounge, located in Elizabeth Moore Hall, room G11 and is open Monday-Thursday until 9 p.m.

The most important advice that she could give was to join student organizations. This can not be stressed enough, as I know from experience. The first couple weeks were the hardest for me since I didn’t realize that I wasn’t going to be friends with people from class like I was in high school. It almost feels like there is a wall put between you and others that live on campus because you don’t have the time to hang around all day or can’t meet up in a minutes notice. However, my fears were subdued due to joining a few organizations.

Things are beginning to look up now that I have put myself into the right situations with people that have things in common with me. By going to club meetings, you can find out about many different events going on around campus that you otherwise wouldn’t have known about. Plus student organization presidents give you ample time to plan ahead to see if you’re available.

There are options out there for students looking to make friends, you just have to be open to trying new things and be willing to stick your head out. For starters, head to the Mountainlair for WVUp All Night on the weekends and to the events held in the Mountainlair as well.

I know how hard this can be, especially if you are shy like I am, but think positively and keep moving forward. There are many others out there who feel the same as you. If you are nervous and having a hard time, do not hesitate to reach out to me either (@JamieSchiren). I would love to chat with anyone having difficulty making friends, or just too shy to go to an event alone.

For those interested, here are some future commuter events coming up (be sure to get on the mailing list to get all the details):

• Halloween party on Oct. 31, time TBA. They will be hosting a costume contest, so come dressed up.

• Trunk or Treat on Oct. 30 at the Colosseum at 5 p.m.

Jamie is a Freshman at West Virginia University, majoring in English, minoring in Japanese Studies and Teaching English as a Second Language. She is a creative writer from Annapolis Maryland, and also a girl with wanderlust. She is looking to inform, educate and inspire the girls on campus, as well as being a hand you can go to for help.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.