This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Meet Makayla Lewis, this weeks campus celebrity! You may recognize her name if you have recently walked through the lair this week, as she is one of the 5 finalist competing for Homecoming Queen! Lewis is from the state of West Virginia and is majoring in Public Relations with two minors in American Politics and Statistics here at WVU.

Q: Many people are unaware of the process of getting on Homecoming court. Can you explain a little of what you had to do?

A: The process starts with an application, where the applicant has to be sponsored by a student organization on campus.  From there, the applications are narrowed down to an interview process, and the interviews determine the top 5 queen and king candidates who campaign.

Q: What were the interview questions like?

A: The interviews were simply a way for the judges to get to know you better and be sure that they were picking the best people to represent the student body as the Homecoming Queen.  

Q: Why did you want to run for Homecoming queen?

A: I wanted to run for Homecoming Queen to be a positive representative of my sponsoring organization, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and be a positive role model to all students at West Virginia University. 

Q: What activities are you involved with on campus?

A: I am a sister of Kappa Kappa Gamma and the Chair of Students Advocating for Legislative Advancement through the Student Government Association.  I am also a volunteer with the Ronald McDonald House Charities, the Children’s Miracle Network, and Reading is 

Fundamental. 

Q: How have these roles helped you for your future career goals?

A: I have aspirations to go to law school upon graduation and I believe that the leadership roles I have held within Kappa Kappa Gamma and the Student Government Association have helped me to better understand my strengths and have given me the knowledge and understanding to be a successful law student. 

Q: What do you like to do in your free time?

A: In my free time, I love to read, exercise, and catch up on my favorite television shows.  I am also a competitor in the Miss America Organization, so my free time is often consumed with preparing for competitions.

Q: What does being a Mountaineer mean to you?

A: To me, a mountaineer is someone who is always proud of the university they attend, the state in which they live, and the tradition that comes with both West Virginia University and the State of West Virginia.  It is about cheering on our Mountaineer sports teams, helping our neighbors when they are in need, and showing hospitality to our visitors. To me, there is no better feeling than being a Mountaineer!

Q: So I want to switch the mood of this interview up and do some fun speed round questions so people can get to know you better! So lets begin….

Q: DP Dough or Munchies- 

A:Definitely Munchies

Q: Bent or Whisper-

A: Bent

Q: Football or Basketball- 

A: Football

Q: Ice cream or Cake-

A: Ice Cream

Q: Chick fil A or Sbarros- 

A: Chick fil A

Q: Cooper’s Rock or Cheat Lake- 

A: Cheat Lake

Q: Apple or Samsung- 

A: Apple

Q: Eliza’s or Da vinci’s-

A: Elizas

Q: Chipotle or Qdoba- 

A:Chipotle

Q: Coke or Pepsi-

A:Coke

Q: Cats or Dogs-

A:Dogs