This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Imagine a life filled with one monotonous event after another; one filled with no excitement and no difference between one day to another. Imagine waking up with no rush of adrenaline and no happiness because you already know what is going to happen that day. This is the life of living inside your comfort zone. A life without taking risks and experiencing different situations shouldn’t be one we strive for or settle for. Life should include excitement for the future and a passion for it.

There is a famous musician named Mike Posner and he has famously written songs such as “I Took a Pill in Ibiza” and “Cooler Than Me.” He was rich and had every material item he had ever wanted. However, he decided this was not what he needed to be happy. Stepping outside of his mansion and million-dollar wardrobe, he set a goal. He decided that he would walk across America. He would leave all of his belongings and comfort behind, step outside of his comfort zone and see how much more fulfilled he felt. Recently, he finished this journey. If that doesn’t inspire you to do something different and challenging, then I don’t know what will.  We should all strive to live before we die, so here are some tips on how to get a head start.

Do something you’ve always wanted to

Whether you’ve always wanted to start playing tennis, go skydiving or watch all of the Harry Potter movies, do it. Quit hesitating. The longer you wait to do something, the less time you will have to enjoy it. We aren’t getting any younger so we need to start trying out the activities we have always wanted to now. Waiting may seem like the safer option, but tomorrow isn’t guaranteed, so get busy.

Travel & experience as many places as you can

Whether taking a weekend trip to Pittsburgh or buying a spontaneous plane ticket to Europe, do what you can afford and what you would enjoy the most. Personally, traveling anywhere fills my heart and soul with so much love. Seeing different cultures, architecture and people fill me with a sense of satisfaction. Through traveling, I realize that I am just a small portion of this big, beautiful world, and it leaves me in wanderlust, wanting to see more and more.

Set goals & achieve them

Have you wanted to start working out three times a week and just haven’t made yourself get around to it? If so, I’m sure you aren’t the only one. Our brains can be very convincing in coming up with excuses as to why we don’t have time, aren’t qualified, or can’t do whatever we want to do. Prove your brain wrong. Start setting goals, and don’t cut corners. Only you can make yourself achieve your goals. And what is better than proving to your brain (and possibly others) that you could do something that they didn’t think you could?

Give yourself purpose

If you feel like your sole purpose of existing is being in school and studying, then you are doing something wrong. There is so much more to life than those things. And while those are both very important, they can’t be what completely makes us who we are. Stepping outside of your comfort zone may start to show you your purpose. Whether that is writing articles to empower others, starting a campaign for something you have always believed in, or volunteering to give back to your community, make it happen. We all have a purpose, and the sooner we work towards finding it, the happier and more fulfilled we will be.

Living your life full of meaning, purpose and excitement for the future are all things we should aim for. Make the most of every day and watch how much happier you will become. Realize what really matters in life and focus on those things. Lifelong memories, achieving goals and feeling accomplished will fulfill you more than a few hundred likes on an Instagram picture and fake friendships ever could. I dare every single one of the readers to do something new and exciting every day. It could be something as simple as trying a new food or reading a new book; you will start to open up your mindset and you will be living outside of your comfort zone (and your best life) in no time.

Edited by Sydney Keener

A freshman at West Virginia University, majoring in English and hoping to double major with psychology. Enjoys traveling, playing tennis, and spending quality time with friends. Other than writing articles, she also is an editor for Her Campus and an Alumni, Marketing, and PR coordinator for WVU's division of Camp Kesem.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.