A Letter To My Long Distance Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Dear best friend,

We’ve gone through everything together.  Remember those late nights crying to one another while shoveling our mouths full of ice cream? Or those moments when your new boy had to meet me, and I spent the time judging whether or not he was good enough for you? (Of course, no one will ever deserve you in my book, not unless he’s Channing Tatum.) I remember the road trip we took to the beach just because, where we had the windows down with music blaring and we almost got lost a few times. We grew up together, we watched each other grow into the people we are today. You’ve seen the best, and you’ve seen the worst of me. You held my hand during the moments I needed you most, when I wasn’t sure how I would make it through that time.

But I think this has to be the hardest thing we’ve ever gone through.

We both knew this day would come, that we would end up going our own way. But I never imagined how far apart we would be. We’ve been inseparable for so long that it feels like I’m missing a part of me. Sure, we had those few fights back in high school where we didn’t talk for day. But then it hit the point where we just had to apologize because we missed each other too much. We used to talk about college and how excited we were to finally be on our own, but there was always that elephant in the room reminding us that it also meant we wouldn’t be together. And now, I hate how long we’re forced go without talking because things get so hectic. 

But, no matter how much I miss you, I want you to know how proud I am of you. You tell me all about this life you’re making for yourself and all of these amazing experiences you’ve had, and I’m so happy. I always knew that one day you would do great things, and now you’re another step closer. Even if I’m not there with you, you know I’m still cheering you on and reminding you that things may get stressful and push you to your limits, but you can do it. I have faith in you.

So go out there, make me proud, and I’ll see you soon. Xoxo.

A junior at West Virginia University, Erin is majoring in Journalism (emphasis on Print) and working to achieve a minor in Creative Writing. Erin is currently the president of the Alpha Pi chapter of the national service sorority, Omega Phi Alpha, and is a member of the Alpha Pledge class. She plans to pursue a career in journalism and focus on arts & entertainment.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.